Electric blue ram behaviour help!

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by STANNY, Dec 14, 2012.

1. S

STANNY New Member Member

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a pair of electric blue ram. They are only young so I'm unable to sex them yet. From the moment they entered the tank, one was always more confident and brave but they did tend to stick together most of the time. Recently I've noticed that the more confident one doesn't seem to want the other one any where near it. If it gets too close it chases it away. There is no nipping, simply just chases it away then goes back to what it was doing. Is this normal behaviour? Could it become a problem? Is there anything I could do to stop it?

One other thing while I'm here, I've fed them many different foods, from live bloodworm, brine shrimp to various frozen foods and flakes and pellets. While they instantly eat the flakes and pellets, they tend to chew the frozen food for a few seconds then spit it out, befor chewing it for a few more seconds, then spitting it out again. They sometimes eventually get round to ingesting it but more often than not one of their tank mates will nick the food when the ram has spat it out. Is this something I should worry about? am I doing something wrong?

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Rams do work out a territory. As long as the chasing isn't constant and nobody's getting hurt you're probably fine.

Do you thaw the frozen food before giving it to them? It may be that it's simply too big for them to eat in one shot.

3. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

When I fed frozen cubes, I used to scoop out a cup of tank water, let them that, then break them up with the handle of the net (or anything really). That way there are lots of little pieces for everyone to eat.

4. OP
    OP
    S

STANNY New Member Member

I thought about the territory thing, but it isn't any particular area of the tank, just wherever the ram is when the other approaches. But no it isn't constant and nobody is getting hurt.
    I always defrost the live food in I tub of the tank water before feeding with a pipette. Your point about the it being too big was my first thought but I noticed that they even do it with tiny pieces.

5. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Hmmm.....difficult to know, then, about the food.
    I think your rams are just being rams, though.

6. Siggi

Siggi Well Known Member Member

My guess too: rams being rams...
    Probably got at least one male - just getting old enough to begin bossing the other one around...

Cichlids in a nutshell!! That's why so many people love them.

7. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

Maybe spawning? My flagfish have the same behavior and their at the same stage in their life span.

8. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

So ive got dwarf puffers, and the bite/reject behavior you're describing sounds a lot like q puffer that doesn't like what its eating. They taste it, spit it out. Look at fall, taste it and spit itbout again. Mind dontvlike frozen shrimp, they just end spitting it allbover the gravel, but eat every scrap of frozen blood worm (except tiny who will only eat live food, she tastes/rejects even thawed bloodworm). You can keep trying the ones they spit back out, just keep in mind most will go to the bottom until they catch Connor change their minds

9. OP
    OP
    S

STANNY New Member Member

Having monitored the situation for a while now, I've decided to take action. It had become almost constant, to the extent that if the dominant fish noticed that the other fish had emerged from the corner of the tank, it would quickly chase it back to the corner. The only time it wouldn't be chased was feeding time and nighttime. So I've followed some advice I've read on another thread. I've removed the dominant fish, rearranged the tank, and will put it back in after the other fish has had a good look around. I'll let you know how it goes.

10. Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

That sounds like a good idea. :) As far as the feeding goes - mine do the same thing for their bloodworms. They love them, but they still will spit it out after sucking on it for a little bit...only to attack it again. Personally I think they just like playing with their food (pretending to be the great white hunter). It seems like they would rather attack something on the move versus something just sitting there. Cats of the fishworld maybe?

My dominant one will go over to the one it likes to hang out with and spit out his worm really fast - just enough to get the other to notice - and then suck it back up real quick and and then a chasing match ensues...:giggle: I think it's just a cichlid thing. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice