Electric Blue Johanni Question 

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This guy was usually VERY social when I used to come to the tank and has now resorted to staying under plants or in his cave even when I come to the glass. The only thing new in the tank is the bubble stone. Are Mbuna more of a low flow fish? I have a yellow lab in there with him and it is fine and feisty. He is also taking on more and more black coloring losing almost all of his blue or it is turning extremely dark.

The water is pretty normal pH-7.8, ammonia-0, nitrites-0, nitrates-40, temp 80F. Also other fish are all acting right as rain.

Any ideas?

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have no clue but my Krib Male started doing this, he used to be so friendly but now just hides like yours most of the time

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My dominant male johanni rules all of my mbuna except for my socolofi in my mbuna tank, so I'd consider this behavior quite odd, especially considering his tankmates.

How long have you had him? I'd expect the johanni and the yellow lab to exerminate the rest of the tank.

You know, this is a perfect excuse for MTS, especially since the wife got the fish. You could get a 55 gallon, stock it with all mbuna (we'd be happy to help with stocking suggestions), tell the wife it's important to see what's wrong with the johanni

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lol BB! If we weren't in a pinch right now I would have as many tanks as you lol. Petco actually has a $1 a gallon sale goin right now but the heater/lid/lighting would bury me not to mention something to put it on.

Anywho, the Johanni I have had since back in early to mid March and he has been ruling the tank as you said yours does until I got this air stone, that's why I am wondering if it was the cause. He isn't looking sick or anything and eats like a Piranha when it's feeding time, just almost entirely black with midnight blue blotches(he's dark lol) and almost always hiding unless it's feeding time.

No ideas from anyone?

Merged back to back posts.
Ken

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Blkdeath,

If you have just recently added the air stone, it may take some time for the fish to acclimate to it being in there. Hopefully the coloration changes you're seeing is due to a mood swing. I haven't owned one of these fish so I can't say for certain.

Let's see what other responses you receive.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads