Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

Tanked4Relaxin

Hello. I purchased an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey last week. It's about 1 1/2". I also bought at same time more Cardinal Tetras to add to current school in my 55 gal. I asked lfs if this was ok to mix, along with my very large 2 Angels, a yr. old.. & I was told yes. Further research indicates absolute no. Tetras will disappear. So I set up my 29 gal. for the Electric blue jack dempsey but now read too small of a tank? Oi. So then I thought well I can put the Tetras & mollies in 29 gal & leave jack to grow up live with my Angels. Would that be safe? I'm just at a loss of best direction here. Getting another large tank is not an option unfortunately. TIA.

A201

I've grown out several Blue Jack's. The best male grew to nine inches, the lone female reached nearly six inches. They aren't quite as durable or aggressive as standard JD's, but they are in fact actual JD's & will try to eat anything that will fit in their mouths.
Given enough room a group of adult Angel's probably can coexist with an EBJD, especially if the JD is female.

Upvote 0

Tanked4Relaxin

Hi & ty. Not sure sex of EBJD & I have 2 angels, not full group. Thoughts? Or do u think 40 g breeder better than the 55 g due to width?

Upvote 0

A201

I'd go with the 55 gal. In most cases, bigger is better.

Upvote 0

Tanked4Relaxin

Ty!! And it will not nip at or bother in any way my 2 angels?

Upvote 0

A201

JD's typically frequent the lower levels of the tank. Angel's are mid to upper level swimmers. Chances are the JD will ignor the Angel's provided they are too big to eat.
JD's don't nip, they swallow. Lol.

Upvote 0

Tanked4Relaxin

JD's typically frequent the lower levels of the tank. Angel's are mid to upper level swimmers. Chances are the JD will ignor the Angel's provided they are too big to eat.
JD's don't nip, they swallow.

Lol.
Lol ok, this helps.
One more ?? (Srry). 55 gal has eco substrate. Do I need to change to all or partial sand?
Ty!! And it will not nip at or bother in any way my 2 angels?

Upvote 0

A201

I'm not a big fan of sand substrate. My tanks have a deep bed of small grain rounded river gravel.

Upvote 0

Tanked4Relaxin

I'm not a big fan of sand substrate. My tanks have a deep bed of small grain rounded river gravel.
Not a sand fan either, unless I'm lying on it lol, but I thought these guys need it to burrow.

Upvote 0

A201

JD's aren't sand sifters like Geophagus or excavators like Mbuna. They might clear out a nest under a favorite rock or chunk of wood, but that's about all the damage they do.

Upvote 0

Tanked4Relaxin

Perfect! Thank you!!!
Since they're not nippers but swallowers, they won't go after EVERYONE in there they can, will they? Sorry.. was given bad info at lfs & now leery to go back & drill them w questions.

Upvote 0

A201

Each fish's aggression level & appetite are different. A good rule to follow is "keep only fish too big to be considered prey" when coexisting w/ predator tankmates.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
Broggy
  • Question
Replies
Views