Electric blue jack Dempsey

Tallen78

Does anyone here have any experience with these fish I’m about to purchase 6 but I’ve been told they are sickly fish and won’t survive more than a few months if there’s anyone out there that can attest to this or otherwise I’d love to hear it

RandomFishBoi

Never kept them, but also never heard of them wasting away. As long as you have a large tank and feed carnivorous foods then they should live a long time (Not accounting for disease, parasites, etc.).

Upvote 0

Tallen78

Never kept them, but also never heard of them wasting away. As long as you have a large tank and feed carnivorous foods then they should live a long time (Not accounting for disease, parasites, etc.).
Thanks they are about an inch now I will be feeding them live brine shrimp and black worms plus I have some frozen blood worms I’m using a 55 to start them in they will be moving them to a155 when they are a bit bigger don’t know anyone personally that has kept them so I went to YouTube which is kinda scaring me but most of the vids are a few yrs old so I figured I’d ask here

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

155 gal is a good size for a group of 6 adults. Are you planning on housing them with other fish? They have quite a few compatibility problems, so be careful with tankmates.

Upvote 0

Tallen78

155 gal is a good size for a group of 6 adults. Are you planning on housing them with other fish? They have quite a few compatibility problems, so be careful with tankmates.
No they will be alone

The tank has triple red Apistogrammas in it but I’m moving them to a smaller tank and redoing the big one

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

I wouldn't mix the JD's (Jack Dempseys) and the apistos. The apistos might get heavily bullied.

Upvote 0

Tallen78

I wouldn't mix the JD's (Jack Dempseys) and the apistos. The apistos might get heavily bullied.
I’m not mixing them the Apistos are going in 2 40 breeders and the jacks will then be moved to the 155 I going to breed some kind of pleco with the 55 once I move the jds

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

Ok, sounds good.

Upvote 0

Tallen78

What fish are you planning to house with the JD's.
Nothing yet maybe a pleco or catfish but nothing planned

Nothing yet maybe a pleco or catfish but nothing planned
I’m picking up the jacks at 6:00 today

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

Are you planning on breeding the jacks?

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Hey so who ever told you they don’t last longer than a few months was lying to you because they live for about 10 years. And they can be really aggressive so for now they should be ok as small baby’s but 6 of them together isnt really the best idea. And what size tank do you have because These guys can grow as big as Oscars.

Upvote 0

A201

I've raised several Blue Jack's. They are substantially weaker than the standard Jack's & are more susceptible to disease and sudden unexplained death.
My best was a male who grew to nearly ten inches & lived five years.
A female grew to six inches and also lived for five years.
Jack's like warm & hard water, 80 - 82 degrees works well. Don't be afraid to decorate with limestone
Eventually the dominant male will make life miserable for the subordinate males.
Good tankmates include Firemouths & Salvini Cichlids. XL Swordtails & Red Tail Loaches can also work.
Have fun with the new Blue Jacks & post pics.

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

And what size tank do you have because These guys can grow as big as Oscars.
He said earlier in the thread that he has a 155 gal he plans on moving them into when they get bigger.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

He said earlier in the thread that he has a 155 gal he plans on moving them into when they get bigger.
Ok sorry I missed that but I still think a 155 wouldn’t be big enough for 6 very aggressive fish that grow to be 10-12 inches

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

Ok sorry I missed that but I still think a 155 wouldn’t be big enough for 6 very aggressive fish that grow to be 10-12 inches
I'd say 7-10 inches is a more accurate size for jacks dempseys. Even if they do get 10-12 inches I feel a 155 would be big enough.

Upvote 0

Tallen78

Hey so who ever told you they don’t last longer than a few months was lying to you because they live for about 10 years. And they can be really aggressive so for now they should be ok as small baby’s but 6 of them together isnt really the best idea. And what size tank do you have because These guys can grow as big as Oscars.
155 gallon

Upvote 0

A201

The biggest standard male JD I've seen was in my LFS's display tank.
He was nearly a foot long & incredibly thick. He also rarely moved. That's normal behavior for a full grown JD. They claim a rock or log & spend the day under it.

Upvote 0

Tallen78

I'd say 7-10 inches is a more accurate size for jacks dempseys. Even if they do get 10-12 inches I feel a 155 would be big enough.
Well I hope they don’t grow over night and I have a yr or so to make other arrangements and the only reason I am grabbing the 6 he has is because there reputation for short live spans I understand the whole recessive gene thing and that causes them to be less healthy so I figured give myself 6x the odds of maturing one plus they are to small to sex so I’ll also increase my odds of male and female

The biggest standard male JD I've seen was in my LFS's display tank.
He was nearly a foot long & incredibly thick. He also rarely moved. That's normal behavior for a full grown JD. They claim a rock or log & spend the day under it.
Ebjd don’t grow as big and they aren’t as aggressive as the standard jack

Are you planning on breeding the jacks?
If they last that long

Upvote 0

A201

That is very true. As noted above, I've raised several Blue Jack's. The biggest male grew to approx. 10 inches.
They are just as aggressive as a standard JD. They don't know they a weaker variant. The Blue Jack's just don't pack the same punch as a standard.

Upvote 0

Charlie’s Dad

Our Jack Dempsey does just fine. Eats well. Hides well. Hunts well also. Water conditions are key in my opinion for her doing so well. We got her from Hawaii.

Attachments

• 20200714_215256.jpg
    20200714_215256.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

Tallen78

Does anyone here have any experience with these fish I’m about to purchase 6 but I’ve been told they are sickly fish and won’t survive more than a few months if there’s anyone out there that can attest to this or otherwise I’d love to hear it
Ok so I picked them up this morning and he only had 4 VERY nice little fish all about an inch these guys are already after everything they are currently in a tank with some shrimp and they are after them big time they are going to be fun fish to keep

Attachments

• 5F549C4E-E9D4-4401-8901-F0C03DA71350.png
    5F549C4E-E9D4-4401-8901-F0C03DA71350.png
    880.5 KB · Views: 26
  • E67683D9-6ADD-446E-AF2C-8C9996C5AC0D.jpeg
    E67683D9-6ADD-446E-AF2C-8C9996C5AC0D.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views