Electric Blue Jack Dempsey with White/Cream colored spot - doesn't look like ich

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Msheresy, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Msheresy

Msheresy Valued Member Member

Spot is on right side caudal fin. You can see it on the left side too due to the transparency of the fin.
    He was not being very cooperative.... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355867813.572052.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355867826.117857.jpg

What is this? He's the only one affected. It's been there for a few days. How do I treat it?

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Wow! What beautiful fish. :)

For now, I would simply watch the area of concern and see if any changes develop. I have a Bloody Parrot that has had 1 white spot, same area, for many years. It hasn't changed or grown, it's just there. Sometimes a white spot is just a white spot and nothing more. Other times it may be a sign of fungus or parasites.

Are you seeing any flashing from the fish? (trying to scratch itself over and over and over on an ornament or something within the tank)

The fewer medications you subject your fish too, the better off your fish are going to be.

If the spot grows, spreads or changes, then I might consider some type of treatment.

Let's get more responses.

Best wishes for your beautiful fish!

Ken

3. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I can't comment on your fish unfortunately, but they are absolutely stunning. If you are terribly concerned you can always QT this fish. Time will tell.

4. OP
    OP
    Msheresy

Msheresy Valued Member Member

Thanks for the compliments!

I have seen no flashing but I recently lost one of my ebjd due to internal parasites so I'm extra paranoid. He's eating normally and acts normal, I just don't want to lose another when I have 9 blue genes growing out and 5 wild dempseys I'm growing out (hoping to increase the viability of the ebjd by introducing some wild genes).

Unfortunately I can't qt him as I currently have some new dwarf puffers in qt and they will be lunch if I add him. Lfs said it could be lymphocystis and that its nbd and happens in marine fish often. After researching that it doesn't seem like nbd so I hope that's not it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice