Electric blue jack dempsey food

Ryan921

I just picked up a couple juvenile EBJD’s the other day & I’d like to help their color pop while maintaining their nutritional needs.

I’d heard that the color of the food has a lot to do with the color it enhances in the fish. Is this true or just another myth?

with that, I’m looking for a specific high quality color enhancing food for them. I’m also looking to boost their growth rate if possible without hindering them. They have plenty of space to grow in their tank & ample hiding spots, but are some of the smaller fish in it & id like to even things up a bit if I can.

can you guys shed a little light on this for me/give me some food recommendations?
Thanks in advance!

Azedenkae

I’d heard that the color of the food has a lot to do with the color it enhances in the fish. Is this true or just another myth?
This is a myth.
with that, I’m looking for a specific high quality color enhancing food for them. I’m also looking to boost their growth rate if possible without hindering them. They have plenty of space to grow in their tank & ample hiding spots, but are some of the smaller fish in it & id like to even things up a bit if I can.
I agree with A201 with the recommendations. NLS Ultra Red in particularly purportedly boosts red coloration.

carsonsgjs

Keep it varied as well - throw in some live and frozen food. They will eat anything based on my experience.

Ryan921

This is a myth.

I agree with A201 with the recommendations. NLS Ultra Red in particularly purportedly boosts red coloration.
So the NLS red enhancing food enhances all colors? The emphasis on red is kinda misleading in that case, isn’t it?

A201

It seems that a lot of the color enhancement foods are red, apparently due to added carotene.

Azedenkae

So the NLS red enhancing food enhances all colors? The emphasis on red is kinda misleading in that case, isn’t it?
No, it only enhances red. Sorry, I was just making an off-hand comment that I thought might have been of interest (in general), not specifically here. My bad.

Ryan921

No, it only enhances red. Sorry, I was just making an off-hand comment that I thought might have been of interest (in general), not specifically here. My bad.
No problem. Part of this reason for all this (on my end at least) is that the color enhancing pellets I have been using are actually causing some red coloration in these little guys, which is cool but I really wanted to boost the blue in stead.

Normally I’d just accomplish that with algae/spirulina… but these little dempsey fish seem to greatly prefer the carnivorous options (so far)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
schmalzy_x0
Replies
Views
carlos.kenny
Replies
Views
AquaticJ
  • Poll
Replies