Electric Blue Acaras Laid Eggs in my community 55 and I officially have Wigglers! What to do now?

ccc726

Reaction score
Hey All :)

I have a pair of Electric Blue Acaras in my very heavily planted 55 gallon community tank that have laid eggs 3 days ago and I officially have wigglers as of today. Tank Parameters are as follows:
Ph: 7.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm
Nitrite: 0
Temp: 81-82

The community consists of mostly very young rainbow fish; Irian reds, Boesmani, Turquoise, Yellow and Banded, a 5 inch yellow spiny eel, 6 young otocinlus, 3 amano shrimp, 2 zebra nerite snails and the 2 EBAs the male and female. My EBAs are young as well, about 2 inches and I've only had them for a couple months. I have been doing a LOT of water changes and raised the temp to about 84-85 in the last week due to an ich outbreak that has since cleared up. I think this may have induced the EBAs spawning. I noticed them doing the "mating dance" for a couple of days so I decided to add a terra cotta pot partially covered by a piece of driftwood and no joke within an hour the female had laid eggs on the back of the pot. From the moment she laid them she has been diligently guarding them, the male has tried to stay close but she will not let him get within 3 inches of the eggs without attacking him. The male finally took her seriously and now just hangs out in about 6 inches away in between playing in all the plants like he always does. The rest of the community has no interest in bothering her and haven't even tried. She's in the far right corner of the tank and over the last 3 days since she laid she's been moving the the gravel and making a little divot on the ground next to the pot in the very corner of the tank. I've been checking on her every few hours since she laid (thanks quarantine) and within the last 3 hours I noticed about half the eggs were gone from the back of the pot. I thought maybe she'd eaten them but soon saw the little wigglers in the divot she dug in the corner. I'm really quite excited. I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank, which I've had some weirdness with water parameters when I checked it, Ph is good @ 7, nitrates are very low but there is slightly low levels of ammonia and nitrites present which obviously concerns me, so I plan on doing a big water change to try and get things stabilized in case I need to use it.

All that being said, I'm wondering if I should remove mom and wigglers from the 55? I don't really foresee any issues with the rest of the community bothering them, but I'm a novice here with all this and any advice on the best way to proceed to ensure some survivors from the brood would be greatly appreciated! coralbandit I have an inkling you may be someone to specifically ask advice from ;) Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on the spawn & the wigglers, hopefully members who’ve bred Acaras can answer your questions today

OP
ccc726

ccc726

Reaction score
Coradee said:
Congrats on the spawn & the wigglers, hopefully members who’ve bred Acaras can answer your questions today
Hey there :) Thank you! I’m def still hoping to get some info, the babies were just starting to be able to swim so I successfully moved them to my 10 gallon so they’re safe from the rest of the community tank. I feel awful, their mom was freaking out the whole time and still won’t leave the corner where she’d been guarding them. She’s just glass surfing and shifting through the sand. Really breaks my heart, although I know it’s most likely safest for them to be where they are. I started feeding them Hikari first bites and I’m probably going to add some egg yolk in a little while. Trying to follow some YouTube advice as best as I can!

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Congrats! Breeding fish is so rewarding.
I see you tagged coralbandit the "Breeding Guru" IMHO. I have purchased fish from him in fact a pair of EBA. I have raised hundreds and may be able to provide some answers, In fact just had a spawn have about 2-4 dozen fry almost. 1 month young. But first I have a thread which has a lot of info, Take a look:
Jmaldo's Breeding Journey | Breeding Fish 372227

Good Luck!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom