Electric Blue Acaras - health and sexing

devsi

Hi all,

My EBAs arrived this morning (yay!) and I thought I'd ask for some help seeing if they look healthy and identifying their gender. Additionally, one of them is sitting on the bottom; is this normal behaviour (it does swim around with the others some times)?

DBD62D6B-46AE-41AB-9AB5-6B8C071EE3E0_1_105_c.jpeg
902F4BB0-38B8-489C-AF20-B9AF598E0309_1_105_c.jpeg
497B86AC-3273-44B3-9BF4-BD73E4D9A01B_1_105_c.jpeg
C937D85A-B3BB-4700-8A96-2D38035B6AC4_1_105_c.jpeg
6F7399F8-F9A6-42A2-9612-DAC1FC0E50B5_1_105_c.jpeg

MrMuggles

Cool! I just passed the 2 week mark with my 6.

Give the bottom dweller some time and it will probably join the rest. Might have been shocked by the transition, it could also be a loner- I have one baby EBA who just likes the solitude of my floating hornwort and spends less time shoaling than the rest.

They all look good.

I don’t have experience with sexing them, mine are only a little bigger than 1.5 inch now.

devsi

Cool! I just passed the 2 week mark with my 6.
Ah nice! EBAs look absolutely stunning.
Give the bottom dweller some time and it will probably join the rest. Might have been shocked by the transition, it could also be a loner- I have one baby EBA who just likes the solitude of my floating hornwort and spends less time shoaling than the rest.
He often does swim with the others sometimes, he just seems to like a rest every now and again haha. I can relate to the loner lifestyle ha!
They all look good.
Excellent :)
I don’t have experience with sexing them, mine are only a little bigger than 1.5 inch now.
Thanks for helping! I'm not massively concerned with the sex, I was just curious because I had asked for 3 male/3 female in the hopes they may breed.

jmaldo

Nice looking EBAs. Give them some time to get used to their new home, eventually they should pair up. You may even get a spawn, it usually happens when introduced to new surroundings if mature. Even though I have raised hundreds from spawns, still not 100% on gender id.

Good Luck!

BVUBeavers

I'm not sure about EBAs, but for Blue Acaras the easiest way to sex is to look at the dorsal fin and the tail fin. Males have defined flowing points at the end of the dorsal fin and the tail fin. Females have rounded dorsal fin and tail fin.

SamMe

Beautiful fish, for them to have that much color so soon after being put in a new tank bodes well. My LFS has a female on order for me. That's some nice looking driftwood as well!

devsi

Nice looking EBAs.
Give them some time to get used to their new home, eventually they should pair up. You may even get a spawn, it usually happens when introduced to new surroundings if mature.
Oki doki :) thanks!
Even though I have raised hundreds from spawns, still not 100% on gender id.
haha - fish do seem hard to sex, in general!
Good Luck!
Thank you :)
I'm not sure about EBAs, but for Blue Acaras the easiest way to sex is to look at the dorsal fin and the tail fin. Males have defined flowing points at the end of the dorsal fin and the tail fin. Females have rounded dorsal fin and tail fin.

I'm not 100% what that means, but I'll see if I can figure it out :) thanks!
Beautiful fish, for them to have that much color so soon after being put in a new tank bodes well. My LFS has a female on order for me. That's some nice looking driftwood as well!

Thanks :) I'm surprised they aren't more stressed after being in the mail for a number of hours!

The driftwood is a collection of about 5 different bits haha. I'm due a change around next water change!

BVUBeavers

So for a male - the dorsal fin - it is longer and ends in a point. Same as the top of the tail fin - it ends in a point.

The female you will not see the point on either dorsal fin or top of tail fin.

devsi

They all look the same to me :-D I have no idea!

Any ideas from the pictures I posted?

BVUBeavers

They all look the same to me :-D I have no idea!

Any ideas from the pictures I posted?
Mostly males but hard to tell because it looks like they haven't fully grown out their dorsal fins yet. It looks to me (and don't quote me on this) that you have one possible female and the rest are males.

devsi

Mostly males but hard to tell because it looks like they haven't fully grown out their dorsal fins yet. It looks to me (and don't quote me on this) that you have one possible female and the rest are males.

Ah ok, thank you :)

devsi

They are more friendly today and managed to get some better pictures, if anybody is interested :)

AB4E46D9-90FA-4D0E-9667-C10537CD6D09.jpeg
FB572A5F-7526-4CF3-9F24-40969BB9B0F0.jpeg
A1589471-71C8-474E-BF25-B7DED91DBE0C.jpeg
CBEC8790-7050-4EB2-BF34-744EF104A691.jpeg
3E323D84-81FB-4BED-A1EB-CD1AF513B6F3.jpeg
E513307A-33E5-462A-8546-28ED6530201A.jpeg

SamMe

Beautiful! I agree it looks like mostly males. I hope someone with more experience with EBA will chime in, but I think as they mature that may create a problem with all the males chasing the female. You may need to trade some males for more females so the one you have doesn't get stressed. Again, nice looking fish! Thanks for posting pics.

devsi

I'll definitely keep an eye on for any rampant chasing; I definitely don't want any of them being stressed.

Hopefully someone will be able to confirm genders, if it's at all possible at this stage!

Flyfisha

Hi all,
I have a few batches of fry and juveniles raising up in multiple tanks as I write this.
While I have seen videos of males with very long fins I can tell you 100% not all males are that easy to tell apart.

I am the same as jmaldo. Raised heaps but can’t be sure of the sex . I suggest it may depends on the bloodline as to how big the males fins are? I have mature 5 inch fish that don’t have the long fins.

I suggest terracotta pots as hide outs. The photo of the fish on the sand looks to me like it’s trying to get under the sponge filter for cover?

My fish started to breed at 2 inches and their offspring are beginning to dance at an even smaller size.
7BC00325-BCEC-498C-AF70-8983902F3049.png
537D74AA-5BE2-4D26-94F5-923877B9B9CA.pngSorry it’s just not possible to sex my own fish that I can look at IRL. The good news is the fish will know who is who.

devsi

I have a few batches of fry and juveniles raising up in multiple tanks as I write this.
Ah wow, that's amazing! Are they easy fish to breed?
I am the same as jmaldo. Raised heaps but can’t be sure of the sex . I suggest it may depends on the bloodline as to how big the males fins are? I have mature 5 inch fish that don’t have the long fins.
Ah ok, so the short answer is they could be males or females, it's just not easy to tell?
I suggest terracotta pots as hide outs.
Wait, what? You mean I can put pots like this (Juvale Terra Cotta Pots with Saucers (10.2 cm, 6 Pack) : Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors) in the tank?

Just laying down for them to swim into, you mean?
The photo of the fish on the sand looks to me like it’s trying to get under the sponge filter for cover?
That was my first thought, but I've seen no signs of aggression towards it and is often swimming with the others.

I will keep a close eye, nevertheless! There's certainly better places to hide than the sponge filter, though haha :)
Sorry it’s just not possible to sex my own fish that I can look at IRL. The good news is the fish will know who is who.
haha well that's something, at least!

Flyfisha

Once a pair starts breeding you can expect eggs every 3 weeks . They make excellent parents and don’t attack the juveniles when starting the next lot of eggs. However the juveniles will eat the new born fry. Did I mention they have hundreds of fry. It’s impossible to count past 200 but maybe 400 fry ?, every 3 weeks is going to mean you have to make decisions on how many you try to raise. Letting nature take care of the smaller fry is natural in my opinion.

Yes those terracotta pots are ideal in 3 ,4 and even 6 inch sizes if you have room . Having had a betta get his head stuck in the drainage hole of a 3 inch pot I now always poke a chunk of sponge in the hole.

While all fry and juveniles go mad for live baby brine I find the young fish move on to dry foods very easily.

I agree with the videos that say these are not an aggressive species.

I suggest you try and raise a few dozen healthy fry if you have the grow out tanks not a few hundred in limited space. No fry will survive if you try and raise all of them..

You will know when breeding is on their minds by their behaviour and colour changes.

devsi

Once a pair starts breeding you can expect eggs every 3 weeks . They make excellent parents and don’t attack the juveniles when starting the next lot of eggs. However the juveniles will eat the new born fry. Did I mention they have hundreds of fry. It’s impossible to count past 200 but maybe 400 fry ?, every 3 weeks is going to mean you have to make decisions on how many you try to raise. Letting nature take care of the smaller fry is natural in my opinion.

Yes those terracotta pots are ideal in 3 ,4 and even 6 inch sizes if you have room . Having had a betta get his head stuck in the drainage hole of a 3 inch pot I now always poke a chunk of sponge in the hole.

While all fry and juveniles go mad for live baby brine I find the young fish move on to dry foods very easily.

I agree with the videos that say these are not an aggressive species.

I suggest you try and raise a few dozen healthy fry if you have the grow out tanks not a few hundred in limited space. No fry will survive if you try and raise all of them..

You will know when breeding is on their minds by their behaviour and colour changes.

Oh wow. That’s a lot of babies. I’d probably be able to keep a few, but definitely not that many unless I bought another tank haha.

Will the other Cichlids not eat the fry, though?

I’ll definitely look into the pots then :) no harm in giving them more hiding spots.

Have you seen yours be aggressive during breeding?

Thanks for all the advice :)

Flyfisha

As soon as my pair bonded up and started to dance around I removed all other fish. They were not nipping fins but yes it’s aggression which I assume is stressful ?

To raise fry in large numbers you will definitely need multiple tanks . Multiple empty cycled tanks.

Yes fish eat fish.

devsi

As soon as my pair bonded up and started to dance around I removed all other fish. They were not nipping fins but yes it’s aggression which I assume is stressful ?

To raise fry in large numbers you will definitely need multiple tanks . Multiple empty cycled tanks.

Yes fish eat fish.

Got it, thank you!

Flyfisha

It’s lights on time just now .
Here’s a quick and dirty snapshot of a few terracotta pots.
image.jpg
And some that have a few plants
image.jpg

devsi

It’s lights on time just now .
Here’s a quick and dirty snapshot of a few terracotta pots.
image.jpg
And some that have a few plants
image.jpg

Awesome, thank you!

Did you break them into the different shapes yourself? I’m surprised that doesn’t make them dangerous to the fish with sharp edges etc.

I didn’t even consider putting plants in them. Is there any advantage to doing that vs in the substrate of the tank?

Flyfisha

I cut the terracotta with a angle grinder. The odd one that broke into a nice shape has had the sharp edges sanded off with sandpaper.

The big advantage of plants in pots and glued on to pots or wood etc is in five minutes you can pull everything out . Very handy when catching fish or doing that annual substrate clean.
You are not limited to pots. My wife has a tea cup plant somewhere to go with the tea pot.
image.jpg

devsi

I cut the terracotta with a angle grinder. The odd one that broke into a nice shape has had the sharp edges sanded off with sandpaper.
That’s excellent, thank you.
The big advantage of plants in pots and glued on to pots or wood etc is in five minutes you can pull everything out .
Eurgh. I’m getting flashbacks of ripping out my plants last week and the aftermath of debris everywhere haha.
Very handy when catching fish or doing that annual substrate clean.
You don’t vacuum your substrate every water change?
You are not limited to pots. My wife has a tea cup plant somewhere to go with the tea pot.
Ha! That’s amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Flyfisha

As I sit here one of the mature blue acara is trying to get into these strategically placed half pots that are within an inch of the glass allowing the juveniles a place of rest.

image.jpg
To answer your question.
No I don’t vacuum the substrate or the tanks with almost no substrate often at all.
I follow the Philosophy that it’s extremely important to have fresh water weekly. Old poop ( mulm) is not so much of an issue.

devsi

As I sit here one of the mature blue acara is trying to get into these strategically placed half pots that are within an inch of the glass allowing the juveniles a place of rest.
That’s hilarious and very cute! Your pictures are brilliant.
No I don’t vacuum the substrate or the tanks with almost no substrate often at all.
I follow the Philosophy that it’s extremely important to have fresh water weekly. Old poop ( mulm) is not so much of an issue.
I see. I didn’t think this was an option. I thought vacuuming was an absolute must.

Flyfisha

Check out those people on U tube that have heavily planted tanks. They can not vacuum the substrate at all.

Visiting my local club members fish rooms both on Zoom and IRL has shown me many options on keeping fish. But we all never stop learning.

devsi

Check out those people on U tube that have heavily planted tanks. They can not vacuum the substrate at all.
I will do, thanks :)
Visiting my local club members fish rooms both on Zoom and IRL has shown me many options on keeping fish. But we all never stop learning.
Unfortunately there are no local groups around me, so online is my online resource haha.

Thankfully you’re all so helpful :)

devsi

Got some Terracotta pots and re-arranged my bog wood around them :)

Attachments

• F8C213A8-1788-40DD-A77B-99734D0D1F1A.jpeg
    F8C213A8-1788-40DD-A77B-99734D0D1F1A.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 8

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sweendog87
Replies
Views
aae0130
Replies