Electric Blue Acara

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by relliott, Aug 25, 2019.

1. relliott

relliottNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hi Everyone,

I purchased a very young pair (was hoping they were male/female, be careful of what you wish for, LOL) from my LFS just a few weeks ago. I put them into my 90g community tank. All was well for 8 days. At that point, they got busy resulting in a "mess of eggs" which turned into a "mess of fry" which I'm still tending. Pretty cool.

I've enjoyed the fry. I'm also raising some very young angelfish that I purchased on Aquabid. Using live, frozen and flake food. So the Acara fry were just another set to feed although they were still in my 90g. Feeding the fry so often has resulted in more mess but I'm ok with it to feed them right.

My LFS told me to bring in anything I didn't want and they would make a deal. Ok, problem solved or so I thought.

Now just 2 few weeks later, more eggs. I get it. They are breeding machines. However I'm thinking of taking one back to my LFS for a same sex situation after these hatch out.

Any ideas of aggression for SS Acara's? I was hoping to do 2 males if only to stop any egg laying but am open to either.

The downside is that I travel (for work) for a few days at a time, sometimes frequently. My 90g and my 8g are fine without food for even a week. However I'm not comfortable doing that with young fry.

Any experiences with same sex Acara's and personality clashes?

Any help/ideas are appreciated.

2. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,410
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have found sexing EBA to be difficult ?
    I started with 7 in my 180 and they breed like crazy for first couple years .
    I would take some eggs and leave some ..The grow out process takes a lot of room [my biggest fry tank 80g !]..
    Eventually the alpha male I believe has pick what I assume to be other males off over the years ..
    Down to 3 now and thinking without breeding I have 1 male and 2 females ..
    What I am trying to say is I think 2 males is probably a death sentence for one ?
    You are not the only who has this rabbit/fish breeding issue ..
    You did say" be careful what you ask for !"
    I see no harm in keeping just one IMO..Seems to be what may be necessary ??
    I still have about 50 EBA @ just under/over 2 inches !
    Good luck !

3. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,711
    Experience:
    2 years
    Just a short timer breeding EBA. But as mentioned by @coralbandit
    The Alpha male will hunt down any other male he feels is a threat. And agree they are tough to sex. I learned the hard way. I left what I thought was a female with him and my son noticed it was missing an eye. Turns out it was a male, he survived but of course my son named him "One Eye".

Good Luck!

4. OP
    OP
    relliott

relliottNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thank you coralbandit for the information. You make me realize I do have a problem. After this current egg situation, I'll be returning my female.

Thank you for the information. I guess keeping ONE is my best bet. My community tank has it's typical personalities however I don't need/want WWF to take over.