Electric Blue Acara fighting???

wacawaca

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got a pair of ~1.5-2 inch acara two days ago and they’ve been “fighting”... I was getting ready to post here asking if it was possible they could be engaged in breeding behavior at this age/size (since that’s exactly what it looked like).

Well, now that the male is guarding/fertilizing 75 or so eggs, I no longer have that question! :)

Here’s some video if you’re interested:

BTW, my new tank has been setup a week now and still 0ppm for ammonia/nitrite, PH of ~7, and nitrates at ~20 ppm. My ice chest cycle seems to have worked perfectly! :)

Attachments

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Congrats!
Good vid. Nice Looking setup,
I remember my first spawn. Exciting!
Been breeding and raising EBA's for awhile now. My pairs are "Great" parents fierce protectors. If successful are you ready for the fry?

Good Luck!

OP
wacawaca

wacawaca

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jmaldo said:
Congrats!
Good vid. Nice Looking setup,
I remember my first spawn. Exciting!
Been breeding and raising EBA's for awhile now. My pairs are "Great" parents fierce protectors. If successful are you ready for the fry?

Good Luck!
I setup my tank with a canister and a sponge filter so that if needed I can pull out the sponge filter and use it to quickly establish another tank (for quarantine, hospital, or maybe in this case, to grow fry?).

From what I’ve read, I might expect the parents to eat their first batch or two? I’ll have to read up on how to help them being good parents.

my first thought was to “let nature run it’s course” at first and if any fry get to a reasonable size, I can pull them out to grow or let them grow in the tank until they’re large enough to bring to my LFS.

I’m open to pointers. :)

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can do different things to help, but... It's really up to "Mother Nature".
I have had a few spawns eaten within the first couple of days. The reason I mentioned fierce protectors, I see they are with other fish. They are "Great community tank mates except when spawning.
I started a thread of my breeding journey, it's a long read but quite a bit of info. not just about EBAs.
Jmaldo's Breeding Journey | 372227 | Breeding Fish

Good Luck!

OP
wacawaca

wacawaca

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jmaldo said:
You can do different things to help, but... It's really up to "Mother Nature".
I have had a few spawns eaten within the first couple of days. The reason I mentioned fierce protectors, I see they are with other fish. They are "Great community tank mates except when spawning.
I started a thread of my breeding journey, it's a long read but quite a bit of info. not just about EBAs.
Jmaldo's Breeding Journey | 372227 | Breeding Fish

Good Luck!
Thanks for sharing that thread! Lots of good info. I'll see how nicely they behave towards their tank mates during their parenting process and decide later whether or not I want to go forward with raising fry and sharing them w/ the LFS or maybe decide just to keep one. Either, it's fun to watch the process and I'm glad they feel comfortable enough in their new home!

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
wacawaca said:
it's fun to watch the process
Exactly,
IMHO, helping them and of course "Mother Nature" and witnessing the stages of development is one of the most rewarding parts of keeping these "Wet Pets".

Good Luck!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom