Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Electric Blue Acara Coloring Question

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by Angel223, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Angel223 New Member Member

I ha e a quick question about the electric blue acara. There are two at my local petsmart but they really don’t seem to have any blue on them. Just kinda pale whiteish silver. Do they get darker or more blue as they get older?

Attached Files:

2. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

Not an EBA pro at all but some pics i've found online have shown them to be very pale in color. But my belief is they are stressed or recently added to the fish store tanks. unless there is such a thing as an albino EBA? Or its just mislabeled and isn't an EBA at all....

3. Iboughtmykidfish Well Known Member Member

I have a youngish eba. He's not fully grown, and is quite a nice bright shade of blue. They could be stressed, or they could possibly be female? Sometimes girls aren't as brightly colored.. Even in the store mine was colored up nicely and he never looked that white during acclimation or right after being added to his QT.

They're not cheap fish, and at least where i live dont2 sell very quickly, so if you live near enough that you can pop into petsmart once a week or so, it may be a good idea to hold off and watch them for a while and see if they color up or not.

4. DarkOne Fishlore VIP Member

Those are definitely EBAs and not very colorful. I've seen some that have been at the LFS for a while and still don't have good color. Sometimes it's stress but usually just bad diet. I don't know if they get their color back with a good diet though. I raised a few hundred last year.

5. Angel223 New Member Member

Well I just bought one of them. I bought the bigger one. I hope it will color up some. I have some good foods for it.

Attached Files:

6. DarkOne Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats!!!

I'd be interested to know if it gets its color back.

7. schmalzy_x0 Valued Member Member

When I first got mine from the lfs they were very pale too but once they got comfortable in my tank they colored up nicely. This is my pair. :)