Ehein filter with chiller

ghostfaced

Eheim filter with chiller

Hello all!
So I am fairly new with tanks and fish and all, but I had a quick question about my set up. I have a 36 G bowed, and I just recently upgraded to a Eheim 2217 filter from a 2213. The reason for the upgrade is that I just purchased an Oceanic 1/10 chiller to keep the temp down. I am asking, before I set the filter up, if the 2217 is sufficient power for the chiller and tank?? Oceanic recommends a flow rate between 200-300 GPH. The 2217 should have enough power, but I am not sure if the flow rate will be ok for the tank after going through the chiller. My head is probably around 7 feet, and the filter has a max of 7 1/2 feet. Does anyone have any experience with this type of set up?

claudicles

Gees, sorry your post hasn't been answered. I'm afraid I can't help. I just wanted to amek sure you knew your question wasn't being ignored. I have 2 2217's but I have no experience with chillers.

ghostfaced

Thanks claudicles.

I've had the chiller hooked up now for 1 night, and it seems to be doing its job as with the 2217. The chiller is keeping the water at 70 degrees F and that is exactly where I want it. Initially, the chiller took over an hour to chill the water down 4 degrees, but now it has only kicked on once since last night for 20min. I say that is pretty good. The only problem that I have now is, that I have to adjust my valve before the spray bar, because my fish are being blown around. I need to measure my flow rate, so that I can turn the valve closed as much as possible without disturbing the functionality of the chiller that needs a flow rate between 200 and 300 GPH. My only question is: Will closing the valve too much hurt the functionality of the filter pump??? I also need to know how to correctly place a spray bar that is along the top-middle, spraying along the surface. I seem to be getting a forceful downward current when it hits the front of the tank and goes down. Is this proper placement?? I don't know. If anyone has any suggestions on how to remedy a high flow with fish.. Thanks

claudicles

The filter should cope with changes in flow rate I think. They cope with changes in media to stuff that doesn't allow high flow, like filter wool and as they get dirty the flow drops and that doesn't seem to be a problem. Not a very scientific analysis, I know, but the best I can come up with.
As for the spray bar, I tend to position mine to try to eliminate stagnant areas in the water. So one my 450 litre tank, I have 2 2217s, one at each end. One has the spray bar directed slightly down, and the other along the surface. I guess if you are over filtered then stagnant areas should not be a problem. Two possibilities to eliminate turbulance - drill the holes in the spray bar larger, or (I'm steeling Nutter's idea here) direct the spray bar towards the glass close to it.

ghostfaced

Hey guys!!
So I did what you said about drilling holes into the spray bar, and it worked perfectly. My only question is: Do the bigger holes reduce the flow rate?? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. I measured my flow rate prior to drilling the holes, and I got it at 169.8 GPH. I think that is pretty good considering it is going through a chiller and about 7ft of head. The 2217 rates 264GPH, so I lost a little over 1/3 flow going through the chiller and tubing.

ghostfaced

Thanks all for your responses, it helped tremendously!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
ghostfaced
Replies
Views
BadBeans
Replies
Views