Eheim Quick Vac Pro Gravel Cleaner in 8.5 gallon tank

BettaCyrus

Hi all, I have an 8.5 gallon planted tank and recently ordered an Eheim Quick Vac Pro Gravel Cleaner because I just can't get the hang of the manual type of gravel vacs (and using a turkey baster is extremely labor intensive, especially having to clean out sand from the bulb every couple of fills). I ordered some silicone grease and rechargeable batteries to use with it too, as those were recommended both here & in reviews... I have some of this stuff - Amazon.com : POLYBIO Poly Filter PAD 4 X 8 : Aquarium Filter Accessories : Pet Supplies and saw someone suggested adding it to the vac chamber?? in order to lessen cloudiness of the water that gets returned into the tank... I don't have the vac in hand yet so am not quite sure how that works but I'm wondering if that's advisable/anyone has experience with using this vac in smaller tank like mine (8.5g) and also if there are other measures I should take for this to work smoothly for me. Is there a way to put a mesh tip on this or some type of nozzle maybe to direct the suction more? I worry about about the sand causing issues in the motor... I have fine sand in the front part of my tank and small gravel in the back (actually both are layered over aquasoil-type stuff too, but I don't intend to vac that deeply). I've been dealing with excess Amano shrimp poop (that no one talks about when they're raving about Amanos! lol :D). I have a male halfmoon doubletail betta, very large purple mystery snail & 3 Amano shrimp. Any Eheim user tips in small tanks with sand would be super helpful! Thank you :)

BigManAquatics

Those vacs always seem too much for me....agree with the turkey baster! But what part about the manual vacs do you not have figured out? Seem over-simple to me, but i have used them for over a decade...so bet i overlooked something!

Upvote 0

BettaCyrus

Those vacs always seem too much for me....agree with the turkey baster! But what part about the manual vacs do you not have figured out? Seem over-simple to me, but i have used them for over a decade...so bet i overlooked something!
They just don't work well for the level of my tank and my ability to use them, that's why I'm getting the Eheim. Hoping for some tips from others who have used them in small tanks.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
l0u1se
Replies
Views
James95
Replies
Views
JadeMau
Replies