Eheim Professional Wet/Dry Canister (2229)

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Brittni Says, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Brittni SaysNew MemberMember

I have always run rather small tanks - 20 gallons or smaller - however for my birthday I received a 60 gallon monster (at least it will be in comparison to my much smaller tanks).

I have intentions to use SeaChem's Fluorite for substrate and heavily plant the tank, as well as use driftwood.
    I want to add Gourami's and eventually Discus as well as some other smaller fluffy fish.

Yesterday I ordered an Eheim Wet/Dry Canister Filter (2229) it says it is for use up to 159G (this will be my first canister).

My question is, with the tank being heavily planted and Discus being so sensitive preferring pristine water will this canister be enough or should I add a second form of filtration? If I need a second form are there any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any input!

2. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast I love your avatar :)

I would not mix discus and gouramis; it is generally advised to not house cichlids and gouramis in the same tank.

I am not familiar with Eheim canisters specifically. I would look at the gallons-per-hour filtration rather than the company's suggested tank size, though. With canisters, your flow rate should be 5-7x the tank size. For simplicity, if you had a 10 gallon tank with a canister, it would require 50-70 gallons per hour filtration. (Canisters are more efficient than HOBs (hang-on-back filters), which require 8-10x filtration; IE a 10 gallon tank would need an HOB that provided 80-100 gallons per hour flow rate).

Hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy the forum! :)

3. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning and welcomerainbow.gif to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site. :)

Link of interest:

Ken

4. Adam11New MemberMember

IMO if your looking secondary filtration go sponge safe for the fish plus great for polishing water

5. Brittni SaysNew MemberMember

I have watched the forums for a long time before actually joining but with the addition of my new tank I figured I would join. I might actually have something worth posting now as well as some nifty photos once I'm finished!

Kinezumi89 as I've said I've watched the forums and you seem extremely knowledgeable and for that I will forgo the discus...for now, until I get another big tank of course. =P I do have a friend with a pair of Dwarfs and a pair of Discus however I believe her tank is a 125 so much more space than I have. I was looking at your profile and you have an Aquatop canister, how do you like it? I did some more research after I hit buy on the Eheim (Hey, it was a great deal!) and I'm seriously considering returning it and going another route. I really like the idea of the UV sterilization. Also the dimensions of yours would easily fit into the cabinet on my stand as opposed to running tubing into a nearby closet to hide the Eheim.

Aquarist48, thank you so much for the link! It is definitely bookmarked!

Adam11, I was considering sponge but I'm trying to use minimal mechanics in the tank, it's oddly narrow for the size of it and I don't want to bog up corners trying to hide it. I will definitely do more research before my initial setup.

Thank you all once again for your input!

6. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Thanks! :) I love my canister. Awhile ago a member posted a link to Amazon, where they were selling it for $17!! Plus 50W and 300W Aquatop heaters for $3.50 and $4.00 each. Someone made an oops when uploading those pages! I bought a canister, a 300W and two 50W heaters. At that point it seemed silly to "stock up" though I really wish I had; if I had gotten another then I'd have an excuse to set up another tank. ;) As for the filter itself, it keeps the tank looking clean, has tons of room for filter media (I like to keep extra in case I need to set up another tank, which came in handy when I set up quarantine tanks for Igor (in my avatar) and an angel), and a UV sterilizer which helps with some forms of algae and floating pathogens like ich. The flow was so powerful I actually had to fiddle with the angle of the spraybar so the fish weren't being blown around. And like you mentioned, it fits into the cabinets along with my CO2 tank and food, ferts, random storage, etc. I definitely recommend it :)

As for how much filtration is sufficient; with canister filters you aim for 5-7x the volume of the tank. So for a 55 gallon tank, you would want the canister to provide 275-285 gallons per how flow rate. I don't trust the "recommended for tanks up to X gallons" like it says on the box, because it's often exaggerated a bit (which makes no sense to me, you think they would lowball it so that you were forced to buy a more expensive filter than you really needed :;dk).

If you want, you could do discus instead of the gouramis ;) But as you mentioned, they can be finicky and aren't good beginner fish (not sure how much experience you have). There are fish that people keep with discus; I've seen cardinal tetras and GBRs and various bottom feeders kept with discus before. You can always make a thread in the discus forum an ask the experts if you're still considering them :) I definitely plan to have a discus tank myself one day.

7. Brittni SaysNew MemberMember

I have had two 15 gallon tanks running for almost four years now, I use Aquaclear 50 Bio HOBs on both and both are very densely planted. I've just never had the space or the funding for anything larger until now. Honestly I had to plug the HOBs with sponge in the cylinder just because the current was so strong that my Halfbeaks were getting tossed all over. I quite often have plenty of Halfbeak fry that I take in to my local fish store and trade in for plants or credits. =P

I think I knew in the back of my head I couldn't do Discus and the Gouramis together and just needed someone to tell me "NO!" to actually listen. I will go for the Gourami's first just because they've always caught my attention. Igor is absolutely gorgeous! I think I could probably maintain a Discus tank I just don't know that I want to restrict my first big tank that much on what I could put in with them for tank mates. I want a little bit of freedom and I've noticed they like higher temperatures than most as well.

I love the UV algae killing feature! Now if only they could add a snail killing feature, they multiply far too quickly for my liking! I think that the Eheim will be going back for a similar version of your Aquatop for sure. I agree, you really think they would lowball, more of our money for them! Eventually I will invest in a CO2 system for the 60Gal, lots of big green plans for that one.

8. Brittni SaysNew MemberMember

Oh, and my avatar is my year old Boxer Nash, he's such a sweet boy! He loves cuddling and inspecting the fish with me, and drinking the yuck water during water changes. =P

9. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

LOL my cat drinks water from the buckets too :p (He thinks he's a dog; he's the cat in my profile picture).

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on fishkeeping then :) I'm waiting to get a discus tank because A) I don't have the space and B) I don't have the time. Someday though! :)

I want to add that the UV sterilizer definitely doesn't get all kinds of algae, just the stuff that floats in the water - either the kind that stains the water green (blanking on the name) or if you scrub it off the walls and it gets drawn into the filter. Obviously the stuff that's on your plants doesn't come in contact with the sterilizer, so it won't be affected. :)

Getting a CO2 system is cheaper if you piece it together yourself rather than buy a pre-made kit. Mine cost about $230, and I got everything on Amazon. My plants really started flourishing once I added it. (I have two 54W T5HOs, and use powdered ferts too.) Here's a picture just for fun :)

Attached Files:

10. Brittni SaysNew MemberMember

Your tank is gorgeous! I definitely need to research more on the CO2 systems although what I have read has mostly pointed to creating your own set up. (I definitely will not be messing around with 2 Liters, sugar, and yeast.) I was thinking about taking a trip to visit my high school chem teacher and seeing if she knew anywhere to acquire something for a reasonable price. We were rather close when I was in her class, it's been a while, but I think she would be willing to help me out. Lots more reading in my future though, the whole concept completely overwhelms me. All of my plants in my 15 gallons are doing rather well but I think in a larger setup they will need more of a push to really thrive.

Is that the tank you are adding Igor to? He will look amazing in there!

11. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

If you have any questions about CO2 I'd be more than happy to help :) I think I actually made a thread called "I am overwhelmed with the idea of setting up a CO2 system or something;" I didn't really get how it worked at all.

Yeah, I wouldn't mess with a DIY, yeast/2-liter system. Sounds like more work to me! Definitely cheaper though. But it isn't really feasible for larger tanks, as you'd need like two dozen soda bottles under the tank :p I was able to find everything on Amazon, even the CO2 tank. I got it filled up at a local place; I've heard of people saying that they get theirs filled at the exact same store (Amerigas, I think? I forget) for $8, but the guy I talked to said they must be getting a deal because it cost me $25. :( I got it filled up in August though and still haven't had to refill it.

Nope, Igor is going in this tank :) I'll be putting two angels in that tank, I'm currently quarantining one of them.

Attached Files:

12. Brittni SaysNew MemberMember

I finally was able to pick up my 60gal today, I had to have someone follow me and load/unload it for me, I just had shoulder surgery and can't lift anything. Even empty it looks fabulous in my "den".

I was able to cancel my order on the Eheim and ordered the Aquatop a minute ago. =P

I love the tank! I've never been fond of dark substrate, (probably because I feel like it shrinks my tiny tanks), I love it in yours, the plants offset it well. I'm thinking about doing a black Fluorite/sand mixture to bring out the colors of the Gouramis. I found some awesome "reaching" Mopani driftwood at a local fish store and bought two huge pieces relatively cheap.

I would love help with the CO2, I'm thinking I'll wait a few months to get into that until after I've cycled and added a few fish to the tank. Do you have an air pump in yours? Do you turn it off at night or run it constantly? Have a bubble counter? Do you run a pH controller? Ahhhhh! I still feel like it's a foreign language. I think I need a coil tube (I can't remember the proper name for the life of me!), needle gauge/solenoid, bubble counter, and a pump system and reservoir?

13. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I do not have an air pump. Mine goes like this: a regulator/solenoid is screwed on to the CO2 tank. The regulator controls how much CO2 comes out, and the solenoid plugs into the timer so it goes on and off automatically. Then the CO2 flows through a bubble counter; just a glass cylinder with mineral oil in it so you can count "bubbles per second" so you know how much CO2 is going in the tank. Then it flows through airline tubing to a reactor, which is a plastic cylinder about a foot high with what looks like fan blades in it. The canister also flows into the reactor. The blades spin when the water flows through, which chops up the CO2 into itty bitty bubbles. Then the CO2-y water goes out the spraybar as it normally would. Reactors aren't that expensive (mine was $15-20 I think) and are a lot more efficient than diffusers. Diffusers are pretty much like really fine airstones. But reactors mix the CO2 into the water better. The longer the bubbles are in contact with the water, the better - otherwise they just quickly float to the top and pop out from the surface, which is a waste of CO2. Also, smaller bubbles are better because there's more surface area (lots of little bubbles versus one big bubble) to come in contact with the water, and thus performing the gas exchange.

I also have a drop checker in the tank; it's a little cone with liquid in it that allows the gas in but not water. (Magic, I'm pretty sure.) Anyway, blue is too low, yellow is too high, green is just right. It was about $15 but this way I don't have to check the pH all the time, or wait until the fish are gasping at the surface to know it's too high.

Hope this helps! Ask any other questions you have, I've totally been in your shoes :p

14. Brittni SaysNew MemberMember

Thank you so much for your help! I think I'm going to wait for my tax return to buy a setup, by then I should have the tank pretty well established.

How big of a reactor do you use?

I feel like a total blonde at the moment I just realized you have Top Aquarium, and Top Fish of the month! That is absolutely awesome, congratulations! It affirms the fact that I am correct in following you! =P

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice