Eheim professional 2226/2228

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Kimberly4403, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

My new second hand tank came with an eheim 2226/2228 canister filter its not been running for couple of months are there any parts i should replace before running it? Im gonna run it on the tank while i test the tanks water tightness for the next few days.. Or should i just test first and then replace any seals etc as needed?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. OP
    OP
    K

Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Just found model number its a 2228 versions so 1050L p/hr

3. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I'd get all new media. Other than that if nothing is broke, there should't be anything that needs to be replaced.

4. OP
    OP
    K

The guy put all new media in it just not sure wat these balls are

Attached Files:

5. BDpups

That's the bio media.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    K

Yes i knew that ive just never seen it like that always used the tube ones.. So the way the guy has it set up is those bio ball things are in top 2 baskets, 1 sponge and some bio noodles in the bottom basket.. Should i change this? add any fine sponge or more sponge? I will have to change slightly as i will be putting all my media from my smaller canister filter in it..

7. BDpups

I would put filter floss on either the top or the bottom of the bio. I put it on the top of it. But use it in both bio baskets.Other than that it sounds good. The water flows from the bottom to the top in Eheim, so you want the mechanical ( the noodles) and coarse pad on the bottom and bio and floss on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. OP
    OP
    K

Arnt noodles part of bio filtration?

Any sponges and filter floss would have to go on top of each basket of noodles/bio media otherwise everytime u clean filter u would be disturbing the BB trying to get to sponges underneith??

9. BDpups

Noodles are mechanical. And, I put my floss and pads on top. But as long as you keep the media wet, taking it out of the canister and putting it a bucket is fine. Use tank water or water that has been treated for chlorine to rinse it off if needed. The noodles will need to have this done from time to time. And so will the bio in my experience.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice