Eheim pro 3 2080 (for 75G African Cichlid tank)

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Mer-max, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Has anyone used this filter? I'm trying to find a single canister that can filter my 75 cichlid tank by itself. Preferably an eheim

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

What sort of cichlids?

If you're going Africans, where over-stocking is generally advised, I think you'll struggle to find a suitable filter in the Eheim range. The highest rated Eheim, is the 3e, at 488GPH. Which gives you about 6.5x turnover. I would think you'd want something up around 600GPH (8x turnover) as minimum.

I would think the Fluval G6 would be more suitable. (665GPH)

Let's wait to see what others have to say.

3. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Yes, African. I was thinking the eheims amount of available media in the pro 3 would be the winning factor

4. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

G6 says filter circulation is 265 g/h the 550 is the pump output

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I always compare pump output ;) Canisters are a closed system, meaning that what ever the pump pumps out of the canister, is quickly refilled.

The filter circulation has an asterisk on it, and I can't find what that means/refers to.

6. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I believe it refers to the actual flow rate full of media. Either way, the g6 has WAY too many bad reviews for me to risk leaving a known brand that is easy,quiet, and functionable!

7. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

I think the Eheim would be fine.

8. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Quad - this would be considered slow flow? I'm kinna flustered for $500 I can't find a filter n media to take on a 75

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think an african cichlid tank is what they had in mind for an ideal tank for slow flow. In fact it's quite the opposite.

An FX5 would do the job for less than $500....but it's not an eheim, which you seem dead set on.

10. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

True. Maybe an FX5?

11. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I'm not dead set. It's just the reviews I read for fluval are bad. Plus I know ehiem is easy and anyone could figure them out. Quiet. And get the job. I have a single 2217 on a 55 and it works wonders. Only has 9 fish, but still. . . . The doubt did come from the cichlids but there's also a feather fin and a pictus cat in there getting bottom food

12. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

The last bit about only one fluval still working kills it. Also I figure if the 2217 I have can take care of a 55, shouldn't the pro 3 handle a 75?

13. Jaysee

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-FX5-Ex...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

You will find bad reviews for even the best products. Sounds like you have analysis paralysis :) Take bad reviews with a grain of salt. I bought my neighbor an electric can opener for christmas. She's 86. The can opener was $16. Some moron posts a one star review because he couldn't get the knife sharpener to work. The fact that the can opener did what it is intended to do meant nothing to them - they gave a poor review because some extra they put on the cheapest product available didn't work. AND, they weren't even sure it didn't work - they couldn;t figure it out.

They're all easy, and they will all get the job done. Some people like eheims, some like fluvals. Some like fords, some like chevy. In the end they all do the same job.

14. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

It's never stars. I don't even look at that. I went to different sites and read every review until my eyes hurt over the past few days. . . I just don't want to take the plunge to a brand I don't trust - even tho it has some cool features, I'm not gunna argue that - and it looks cool. So are we in agreement that either of these filters will properly support the 75?

15. Jaysee

I've got 12 canisters from 5 brands and eheim isn't one of them. I don't know what to tell you. The tank you want to have needs a high flow, but the brand you want doesn't offer such a filter.

16. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

But the fx5 barely pumps anything more full of media. Did you read the link?

Also - wht makes flipping the water a few gallons more huge over having way more media for BB? Wouldn't the extra media more than make up for it since it has more BB to take our ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

17. S

Skysong87 Valued Member Member

I've just bought a fx5 but since I haven't used it yet I can't comment on how good it is.

If you really want an eheim (and you can afford it) why not look into a eheim classic 2260? I'm pretty sure it has the largest gph flow rate of all the eheim canisters. When I was looking at purchasing my canister it came down to fluval fx5 vs eheim classic 2260 since they are fairly similar.

Here is a link to one selling on amazon (it says it is a special edition 2262, I'm not sure what the difference is between this and the normal 2260). http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001GGO3X2/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1&qid=1355967570&sr=8-3

18. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I was looking at the 2260 last night - I can't remember what strayed me - if it was the media amount or what - I've got two weeks to keep researching, lol. Thanks for adding in and let us know how that fx5 works for ya!

19. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

It's also not so much afford. I've saved. If I want this to run for years I look at it all - electricity used, money spent, etc. I look at everything before I drop more than $1 on anything.

20. Jaysee

Perhaps someone will come along and tell you what you want to hear, but that person is not me, since I have no experience with that particular brand of filter. You've done the research and read all the reviews.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice