Eheim Powerline 2252 1200l/hour

man5onite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently bought the Eheim Powerline 2252 1200l/hour canister filter.
I plan on buying a 300liter tank, and wonder if it would be ok with a 1200l/hour filter.
It says 200liters and UP, but I have seen people say that it's only good enough for ca. 200 liter..

So does anybody of you guys know, or have firsthand experience using this filter for 300liters and up?

Thanks in advance,
Lars Olav

man5onite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I guess it doesn't matter if you have experience or knowledge of this particular filter.
But if you know how big a tank i could run with a 1200l/hour filter.

I really hope somebody knows.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Lars,
The general consensus is that 5x turnover or more per hour is the minimum filtration level you want when using a canister filter.

For a 300L tank, it would be better to have 1500l/hr turnover as a minimum. Something like the Classic 2260 might be more suitable.

I'm not sure if internal filters are considered the same as external canisters? (the PowerLine series is an internal), the guidelines i have given are for external canisters filters (didn't realise till I'd typed it all out)

man5onite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you for the answer.
Sorry I forgot to write that it was internal.

Maybe it will be okay running it in a 250 liter?
I plan on keeping small to medium mbuna.
I am very interested in those!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From what I've read on these forums, I think mbuna's do better if you 'overstock' the tank It's another topic, but I think I'm right.

With that said, more filtration is going to be required. You already own the powerline, but that doesn't mean you can't put another filter on the tank.

You could add another internal, HOB or external canister to give you the extra filtration you require.

If it were me, I'd add an Eheim Classic 2215 (650 l/hr) external canister, giving you a total of 1850l/hr, or just over 6x filtration /hr.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads