20 Gallon Tank Eheim Pickup 45 or 60?

Cherryx

Hey guys. Planning to get Eheim pickup for my 60l/20G. Main goal is slower currents so top dwellers and floaters dont struggle like they do now with my noisy default filter that keeps giving me troubles every now and then.

Would love a vote of confidence from past users. I am confused if I should buy 45 or 60? 60l can work from 60-160 liters (which means the lowest flow setting might still give me max for a 60 liter?) while 45 only till 45 litres as per manufacturer's note. If I go for Pickup 45, would it be insufficient for my tank?

Best Answer - View GlennO's answer

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you hopefully members with knowledge of those models can offer some insight today

GlennO

Is it 60L or 20 gal tank? I don't think they are the same? I'll assume 60L.

Pickup 45 is for 'up to' 45L so not big enough.
Pickup 60 is for 'up to' 60L so might be just ok with low stocking but I'd still add at least a sponge filter for backup.
Pickup 160 is for 'up to' 160L which sounds like overkill but could still work by using the flow control and/or baffling the flow. The main disadvantage is that it would be quite bulky in a 60L tank.

You need to get a filter(s) that has sufficient flow and capacity both mechanical & bio-filtration. The water flow/current that is produced is a secondary consideration which can be addressed by angling and baffling the flow with tank walls, decor etc.

I have 2 pickup 200's in a 140L tank.

Cherryx

Thanks GlennO. Mine is 20 gallon but running approx 10% less capacity. I found 160 to be too bulky but I really loved the design and build of these filters. Will research more on an alternative model in this case. My current filter has no adjustment or rotation and creates substantial currents ... I can see my bottomdwellers struggling to stay still right from the middle level and my floating plants keep moving around.

GlennO

The best success I've had with floating plants is with air driven sponge filters.

Cherryx

Thanks a mil GlennO. That really helps. I will research on this.

Slightly off the topic, do you think it would be fine if insert small chunks of my old filter media along with the new media that comes with Eiheim?

Or let me rather put it this way - what would be the best way to safely switch to a new filter? I see few articles on this despite it being (presumably) a major concern. Would really appreciate any insights on this.

GlennO

Would be best if you can get all of your old media in the new filter. That will keep your tank cycled. An alternative for keeping the tank cycled is to run both filters in tandem for at least a few weeks. If you can only get some of the old media in the new filter you may experience a mini cycle so you'll have to closely monitor water parameters (which you should probably do regardless).

Cherryx

I have currently two large filter media so I suppose it would be difficult to squeeze them all in if i go for a compact filter. Definitely keep this in mind when doing the switch. Thanks again.

GlennO

Cherryx said:
I have currently two large filter media so I suppose it would be difficult to squeeze them all in if i go for a compact filter. Definitely keep this in mind when doing the switch. Thanks again.
Well the bacteria is not just in the filter, especially if the tank has been established for a long time and you have gravel, plants, decor etc. So often you can replace part or even most of the filter media with no ill effects. I just recommend feeding lightly for a while and testing the water often.

Cherryx

It's only 2 months old - but fully cycled. Runs on 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite with weekly 30 pc WC consistently for the 3 weeks now. I have not so high bio load right now w 5 cherry barbs - focussing more on plants now- but I will be extra alert once I do the switch.

Top Bottom