Eheim Mech A Waste Of Money

1. m

mick66 New Member Member

Can someone eplain to me how this expensive mechanical media is sopposed to work because it does nothing,
    I took it all out of my 2080`s and put in a few dollars of med/fine sponge a second white pad along with the one at the top and tanks have become crystal clear something I could not get with eheim mech.
    Also the intervals between cleaning the media and top pad have been vastly extended.

So can someone give me an explanation why eheim say you need this when some sponge does a better job.

2. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

To sell you their product.

3. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I hadn't heard of this before. So I did look it up. They look like ceramic rings to me.

The purpose of getting ceramic rings, at least, is to have more surface area to grow beneficial bacteria. Where as the sponges are more to actually catch particles, and grow bacteria both.

I have ceramic rings in my filter, and I do rinse it out about once a month in old tank water. Cleans all the gunk off, and keeps my tank clear.

4. tommywantfishy

tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

Seachem Matrix foe the win!

5. AllieSten

I actually hate Matrix. I would rather do water changes to remove nitrates versus matrix to absorb it. Plus I need the nitrates for my plants lol

6. tommywantfishy

Matrix does not remove nitrates unless a portion is exposed to the air...correct me if I am wrong. It is just fantastic Bio-Media.

Live plants in all my tanks. I run Marrix in 100% of them.

7. AllieSten

You are wrong. It does remove nitrates. Lol

8. tommywantfishy

Ha. Well I have 30ppm in all my tanks. Running a ton of matrix. No ammonia or nitrites, however. I plant HEAVILY.

9. ounderfla69

ounderfla69 Valued Member Member

Matrix will remove nitrates as it is used some pores get plugged up where anaerobic which will grow and consume nitrates but it takes 6-9 months. If you have really good Mechanical filtering before the Matrix or if flow is really high your results may vary. Pumice stone for the win, that is what matrix is and for the price of the container of Matrix you can buy a lifetime supply of generic pumice. The Ehiem Mech isn't designed as Biomedia but coarse mechanical filtering most aquariums don't need Replacing with sponges was a great idea!