Eheim Jager Vertical only?

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Matt B, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I recently got an Eheim Jager 300w tru-temp glass heater, the first of this brand I've owned, and the instructions say it's fully submersible yet to place it only horizontally. This thing is huge! Like 18" long and I'm thinking horizontally would be the best position for it, does anybody have any experience with breaking the rules on this particular heater?

I've read the vertical placement could have something to do with the thermostat compensating for the heat coming up from the coils.

Any info appreciated!

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I run my Eheims horizontal in my sump, and slightly angled in my FW.
    I haven't had any problems with either orientation.

3. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

I never run my heaters vertical :).

4. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

I run my Eheim vertical in my 29, but that's because it's (29) pretty tall. I used to run it horizontal but it was just an eyesore. I might just get a Hydor Inline heater.

5. OP
    OP
    Matt B

That's good to hear, how long have you had them running like that and how long are they lasting?

These ones, or just in general? :)

It is a pretty tall tank (25") and I was worried about getting good heat movement in the vertical position in a corner. It is definitely VERY noticeable, I'll have to mess with the placement I'm sure to get it hidden.

6. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Just in general.

7. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi Matt, I am yet to replace an Eheim heater.
    The one in my FW has been in there since February 2010 (start date) - 100W treating 20G (was same price as 75W)
    The two in my reef tank have been in there since November 2011 (start date) - 2 x 150W treating 66G (+ sump, so probably 80G)

EDIT: But just in case, I do keep 3 spare heaters, well not spare persay, they are used to pre-heat my change water.

8. OP
    OP
    Matt B

That's really great to hear Ryan! Thanks for the detailed response. :) Its good to know I have some freedom in placement of this unit.

I agree, I try to keep one extra in each wattage I use jic, myself. :)

9. llfish

llfishWell Known MemberMember

I just got mine too I keep it diagonal, but it is an eyesore I might lay it down and hide with plants!