Eheim Jager Heater

StarGirl

I just got a Jager heater 50w for my 5.5g. Can you put these horizontal? Its a little too tall for my tank.

Also any tricks or tips for this heater?

Betta'sAnonymous

StarGirl said:
I just got a Jager heater 50w for my 5.5g. Can you put these horizontal? Its a little too tall for my tank.

If it is fully submersible shouldn't be too much problem.

StarGirl

It is, but it says vertical. Thats why I asked. JettsPapa I thought you had one of these?

swimmingslowly

StarGirl said:

I have mine tilted but not completely horizontal and it works fine.

LeviS

I have one and its at an angle in the tank, to tall for my 40 breeder. Seems to work fine.

Rcslade124

I have 2 horizontal in my saltwater sump. 6 months still working

JettsPapa

StarGirl said:
It is, but it says vertical. Thats why I asked. JettsPapa I thought you had one of these?
I have several, with one of them horizontal (and I believe the cord end is even lower than the "top"). A local LFS also uses them in all their tanks, and they're horizontal.

DoubleDutch

I think vertical is the most effective way to heat the water. Can't think of another reason.

These heathers might need calibrating Stargirl

Mrmarra77

StarGirl said:

yes you can as long as it is submerged and what is your current temp in your tank?

StarGirl

DoubleDutch said:
I think vertical is the most effective way to heat the water. Can't think of another reason.

These heathers might need calibrating Stargirl
It does for sure. I watched some videos on how to do it. I think you get the temp you want and then turn the red dial to that temp then turn the blue to that temp. Is that right? I have a glass and digital that are reading the same.

DoubleDutch

Yeah, at the moment you want to bin it, it works.

RayClem

I have never figured out the rhyme or reason for the heater instructions. Some say they should always be installed vertically. I presume that is to reduce the chances of the top seal leaking since the water pressure is lower near the top of the tank. It also puts the heating elements near the bottom of the tank. Since warm water rises, this creates a natural circulation in the tank.

I have seen a Hygger ceramic heater than says it must be installed horizontally, never vertically or diagonally.

Some heater say they can be installed vertically, horizontally or diagonally.

It might make a difference in the long run, but I have always installed heaters however they fit best. Normally, I will install them horizontally or diagonally as I do not turn the heater off when doing water changes. I do not want the thermostat portion of the heater to come out of the water, so I keep it deep enough to remain submerged.

I do have a Top Fin heater that has been used horizontally. There is some condensation inside the tube. It still works, but I am afraid to use it in a tank with fish. I use it to heat water prior to water changes. However, if one of my primary heaters fails, I would use it as a backup until I obtained a new one.

By the way, back in the "good old days of fishkeeping" (or NOT) there was no such thing as a submersible heater. They all hung on the rim of the tank with the control knob out of the water. The heaters were not sealed, so you had to be careful not to splash water on the top. The advantage was that you could take them apart and clean the contacts of the bimetal thermostat or replace the neon bulb (no LEDs back then). I still have one of those heaters and it still works flawlessly. I have binned quite a few submersible heaters, but this old heater has outlasted them all.

StarGirl

Its only a 5g so it heats regardless. Its set at 73 and was 78ish this morning. I'll see what it is when I get home.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom