Eheim Jager - does it need to be completely submereged?

Splaker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey folks,

Just bought a 300 watt EheI'm Jagger. I've read the instructions but could not come across any info as to how deep the heater should be submerged.. It' really long (21") and I have a 24" H tank but I've had to move substrate out in order to get as much of it as possible in the water... Does the dial have to be submerged to? How deep does it have to be in the water? Can the dial be sticking out ? Don't want to plug it in until I am certain!

thanks!

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's thing is the sensor has to be submerged otherwise the thing takes up the air temperature and might boil your tank or simply overheat and burst, frying the fish with whatever voltage you have.
It's enough when it's submerged to the plastic top, though I would think about putting it in diagonal. Especially if it falls dry through evaporation or you forget to turn it off for a waterchange.
Still the toughest heaters I know.

OP
S

Splaker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Now I'm trying to calibrate.. set it to 80 but it's 82.5! These fish are gonna boil if I don't keep an eye out.. dropped to 79 on the heater and going to se how much it drops... heard the calibration is a bit tricky but once set it's a great, dependable heater

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I have my EheI'm 100w fully submerged, placed horizontally above the substrate. Dial submerged and all.

No issues.
20191228_010031.jpg

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Splaker said:
Now I'm trying to calibrate.. set it to 80 but it's 82.5! These fish are gonna boil if I don't keep an eye out.. dropped to 79 on the heater and going to se how much it drops... heard the calibration is a bit tricky but once set it's a great, dependable heater
It's actually not that complicated.
First you dial the ring to the actual temperature you're reading on the thermometer and leave it for 5 min unplugged in the tank. Then you press the button, plug it in and set the dial to the temperature you want. Done.

In my experience usually when I misdialed I end up with a temp too low.

OP
S

Splaker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Had to keep dialing lower... at 73 on the heater it's 79 now in the tank! I guess they do this at the factory.. it's a big heater and obviously made for some big tanks...

ghostdawg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
MissNoodle said:
I have my EheI'm 100w fully submerged, placed horizontally above the substrate. Dial submerged and all.

No issues.
20191228_010031.jpg
What size tank do you have this in? Nice looking heater!

New Threads