Eheim Jager calibration and inkbird controller

FinalFins

Hi,

I ordered a Eheim Jager for a new setup on the recommendation of a friend. Ever since it came, I have been trying to figure out how it worked. To the best of my ability, I attempted to 'calibrate' it, however, no matter what I set it to, it only heats the tank to 82, despite the blue ring being on the lowest setting. I made the mistake of throwing the packaging out, so returns are out of the question. I can't seem to find a solid solution to this issue online - most places say just adjust the blue ring for the temperature difference, and trust the thermometer. However, I cannot seem to determine a solid temperature difference, even after tinkering with it in a 5 gallon bucket for 2 days. It refuses to go under 82 F. I would like some input if anyone has experience or advice regarding the situation at hand - or should I just throw it in the spare bin and buy a new heater?

I've also ordered an inkbird controller- probably not the most financially wise decision, as I could have bought a different heater for cheaper. However, I am considering just hooking up the Jager to the controller and leaving it at that. Most reef keepers seem to have good thoughts on it. As far as I understand, the controller should keep the heater off unless it falls too low temperature. However I wonder if this poses any sort of risk, having the heater supposedly stuck on 82 while the controller regulates the temperature. Is this of any real concern?

Thanks in advance.

DoubleDutch

Maybe this can be a help

PseudotropheusKenobi

I didn’t bother calibrating my 300Ws as they were plugged into the Inkbird Dual Temp Controller too. It works fine like that. For reference, I’m running mine in a freshwater tank (150G African Cichlid).

DoubleDutch

I didn’t bother calibrating my 300Ws as they were plugged into the Inkbird Dual Temp Controller too. It works fine like that. For reference, I’m running mine in a freshwater tank (150G African Cichlid).
But why exactly wouldn't calibrating a heater be necessary in that case?

brhau

If the tank won’t go below 82 when it’s on, you either have too high a wattage for your water volume, or the heater is faulty.

I use Inkbirds on all my tanks as a failsafe if the heater ever fails in the “on” position.

Eheims are great. Definitely the most accurate/stable of any heater I’ve used.

FinalFins

If the tank won’t go below 82 when it’s on, you either have too high a wattage for your water volume, or the heater is faulty.

I use Inkbirds on all my tanks as a failsafe if the heater ever fails in the “on” position.

Eheims are great. Definitely the most accurate/stable of any heater I’ve used.
Could it possibly be a too high wattage? When I bought it, I got the 125 watt because 100 was not available - the 50 watt for my other 20 gallon tanks don't seem to be able to get the tank up to 77 so I got a next size up. However, I've used 200 watt heaters in the past for 20 gallons and I am confused because if the heater was overheating the tank past the selected point, it would shut off and let it cool down, but it seems to keep a stable 82. Its still a great heater for 82 though,

DoubleDutch

I expect this only to be a calabrating issue. Did you allready turn the red part to the 82F ?

brhau

125W is definitely not too high for a 20 gallon. I was just making a guess based on your details. If the calibration is set to 82 or higher and it’s at the coldest set point, I think it’s defective.

FinalFins

I expect this only to be a calabrating issue. Did you allready turn the red part to the 82F ?
What I did was let the heater sit until it stabilized at 82, but I cannot turn the red arrow to 82 because the notches do not go far enough without me adjusting the blue ring. So I unplugged it, moved the blue ring to 82 and re centered the red arrow, and repeated the whole process. After this, I assumed it was calibrated, however dropping the selected temperature to 75 does not give much effect. I will try again in a bucket tonight.

brhau

How much water is in the bucket? 20g?

StarGirl

What I did was let the heater sit until it stabilized at 82, but I cannot turn the red arrow to 82 because the notches do not go far enough without me adjusting the blue ring. So I unplugged it, moved the blue ring to 82 and re centered the red arrow, and repeated the whole process. After this, I assumed it was calibrated, however dropping the selected temperature to 75 does not give much effect. I will try again in a bucket tonight.
I couldnt get my Jager to calibrate like they said in videos or directions either. The red dial wouldnt move to where it needed to be. I just had to keep it in a bucket and adjust it daily to get it where I wanted it. It IS a great heater but is a pain also. :cool:

brhau

I couldnt get my Jager to calibrate like they said in videos or directions either. The red dial wouldnt move to where it needed to be. I just had to keep it in a bucket and adjust it daily to get it where I wanted it. It IS a great heater but is a pain also. :cool:
Same. The red dial is always out of range for me. Also, it creates a hysteresis in the set dial, so that, if you're moving in the opposite direction of the ring, nothing happens for a while until it catches the calibration point. It's overall not a very user-friendly way to set temperature.

That said, once the temp is set correctly, these are the best heaters. A little large, but by far the most reliable and stable.

StarGirl

Same. The red dial is always out of range for me. Also, it creates a hysteresis in the set dial, so that, if you're moving in the opposite direction of the ring, nothing happens for a while until it catches the calibration point. It's overall not a very user-friendly way to set temperature.

That said, once the temp is set correctly, these are the best heaters. A little large, but by far the most reliable and stable.
Yes they are nice. I hate the industrial size cord most myself. ;)

brhau

Yes they are nice. I hate the industrial size cord most myself. ;)
I went with a different brand heater for my 2.5 gallon, because the 25W Eheim takes up way too much space.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Masterblaster73
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Masterblaster73
  • KarylLena
  • Heater
Replies
Views
KarylLena
Replies