Eheim Jager 100W Right for Me?

That1FishKeeper

Thinking about getting the 100W Eheim Jager for my outdoor tub, 15G. Is it suitable for the outside or is the 100W a bit too much? Should there also be a concern with mounting it on a non-glass surface, like the plastic of storage totes?

MacZ

Depends. What is the air temperature? What is the temp you are trying to reach in the vat?
Direct contact to the plastic should be avoided no matter what heater you use.

ruud

And is the tank open or does it have a hood? And does it have water movement? If so, to what degree and reach.

That1FishKeeper

Depends. What is the air temperature? What is the temp you are trying to reach in the vat?
Direct contact to the plastic should be avoided no matter what heater you use.
It can get as low as 50F here. My target temp is 77-78 but I’ll be fine as long as the water stays above 70 in the coldest days.
And is the tank open or does it have a hood? And does it have water movement? If so, to what degree and reach.
The tank is open. The only water movement comes from a sponge filter.

MacZ

With an open tank and down to 10°C (if the tank is on the ground it's even further down... I can't think of any heater that can take this without checking out at one point. The heat will be given off much too quickly, the heater will run nonstop for a while until the safeguard turns it off. At which point you would have to unplug and replug it, that may work once or twice but too often and it's done for.

Is the tank somehow isolated? Will it be on a stand or on the ground?

That1FishKeeper

With an open tank and down to 10°C (if the tank is on the ground it's even further down... I can't think of any heater that can take this without checking out at one point. The heat will be given off much too quickly, the heater will run nonstop for a while until the safeguard turns it off. At which point you would have to unplug and replug it, that may work once or twice but too often and it's done for.

Is the tank somehow isolated? Will it be on a stand or on the ground?
Hm. So that might explain why my previous 100W preset would only go to 74 and not 78. The tank is on the ground

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bgclarke
  • CraniumRex
  • Heater
Replies
Views
CraniumRex
  • Question
Replies
Views