EHEIM Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am planning on purchasing a EHEIM Filter. From my understanding, there are three (or more) different types: (1) Eheim Classic (2) Eheim Professional (3) Eheim Ecco Comfort.

(A) What is the difference between them?
(B) Which one from your experience is the best and why? I've heard that the Classic is better than the professional. So why is the professional more expensive?
(C) How well do the Eheim filters suck up debris?
(D) If I have a 125gallon that's overstocked and currently running a Rena XP4 with an output of 450GPH, would you recommend a Classic 2217 (264gph) or 2215 (164gph)?

Last edited:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Classic is the better filter hands down. It's not quite as easy to prime or to maintain, but that's it's only draw backs. There is zero water bypass with the classic whereas the pro has something like a 5% bypass. The pro range is more expensive for the same reason that a new model car is more expensive than it's predecessor, it has more gizmos basically. Both are excellent filters but you will be happiest with the classic range. Pretty much everyone always is. It would probably pay for you to google reviews on any filter your interested in & compare them that way as well as inspect them closely in person so that you can see the differences for yourself.

Eheim filters are the best on the market IMO. For 125gal tank, if I had a chocie, I would run 2 x 2217's though 2 x 2215's would do. Bigger is always better when it comes to tanks & filters.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Eheim Professional's have a better current rating ecco's are nice for smaller tanks but with a 125 bigger is better...more surface area. Eheim Professional is what i use ..jmho

Last edited:
OP
K

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The Classic is the better filter hands down. It's not quite as easy to prime or to maintain, but that's it's only draw backs. There is zero water bypass with the classic whereas the pro has something like a 5% bypass. The pro range is more expensive for the same reason that a new model car is more expensive than it's predecessor, it has more gizmos basically. Both are excellent filters but you will be happiest with the classic range. Pretty much everyone always is. It would probably pay for you to google reviews on any filter your interested in & compare them that way as well as inspect them closely in person so that you can see the differences for yourself.
Sorry, i am a bit of a newb but what do you mean by water bypass?

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
water bypass means that if or when the filter gets cloged water will go around the media and back out to the tank. lets say you have a filter that turns over 400L of water a hour. with a classic all 400L of water get filtered with a pro 5% or 20L could go past the filter and back in to the tank with out being filtered

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+1 Nutter.
I love my Classic, my only criticisms:-
- The media is a little more difficult to clean due to there being no media baskets, the media is stacked on top of each other. (I personally don't like the concept of the backwash feature, good way to ruin o-rings IMO)
- Takes a little longer to prime.

Answer to A
The Ecco range is slightly more energy efficient and has media baskets, the Ecco Pro introduces a Pre-Filter into the mix.

The Pro range has a larger canister volume and quick-release valves for the inlet/outlet hoses. Pro 2 has a self-starter (priming) button and adjustable flow rate. Pro 3 no auto-start but has pre-filter, adjustable flow rate and wheels to help move it.
Pro 3e is electronically controlled and create constant flow, stream flows and has adjustable flow control. Pro 3e USB as per 3e but can hook up to your computer.

Wet/Dry - as the name suggests, Thermo has a heater built-in and is a variant of select Pro, Pro2 and Pro3 filters.

Answer to B
The pro range are larger volume, have more 'bits' and the auto-valve system, meaning you are buying more hardware but not necessarily more performance. And it's also newer.

Answer to C
Well, with the amount of 'gunk' trapped in my mechanical filtration, I'd say the suck up debris very well. The clarity of my water speaks for itself. With the Classic (and I'm sure most canisters), you are relying on gravity to feed the water into the filter, and the impeller/pump to return it back to the tank. (i.e. you must always position your filter below the tank to allow the siphon to keep working)

Answer to D
Depending on price, I would consider 2 x Classic 2260 @ 634 GPH or 1 x 2260 + 2 x 2217

NB: With Eheim filters, the quoted flow rates are actual flow rates with media. Many other brands quote the flow rate without media.

Last edited:

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
(A) What is the difference between them?Flow rate,and bypass
(B) Which one from your experience is the best and why? I've heard that the Classic is better than the professional. So why is the professional more expensive?Classic is the best,no question.They hold a ton of media,and no bypass.For the price,the Pro's are newer,and command a higher price.They are an inferior filter compared to the Classic,IMO.
(C) How well do the Eheim filters suck up debris?If you are talking about uneaten food,or fish waste,there is no filter that will suck up everything.That is what a gravel vac is for.You can put powerheads in your tank and adjust the flow to reduce dead spots,and move debris toward the filter,but they take up room,and may create more flow than is needed.
(D) If I have a 125gallon that's overstocked and currently running a Rena XP4 with an output of 450GPH, would you recommend a Classic 2217 (264gph) or 2215 (164gph)?I would get 2,2217's.Or 1,2262,and use it by itself.

Last edited:
OP
K

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the great response everyone! Since it's confirmed that the classic is better than the other models, I am probably gonna look into getting a 2217 as it is within my budget and since I'm already running a Rena XP4.

the price difference between 2217 and 2215 is only about 40 bucks and yet the 2217 has an output of 100gph more? the extra 40 bucks seems to be worth it.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
$40 difference, it's a no-brainer. It's about $80-$100 (AUD) difference for us

You'll be really happy with it

Just jumping ahead in time, if you find the pressure (current) is too strong out of the spray bar, just drill the holes out a little wider

It also wouldn't hurt to pick up a spare impeller ceramic shaft, they're quite fragile, and accidents can happen, I've already broken one, and now keep a spare. Just my opinion speaking from experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 71 68.3%

Top Bottom