Eheim Filter - Broken Impeller or Something Else? Help

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Lisa MacAlpine, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Lisa MacAlpine

Lisa MacAlpineValued MemberMember

Hey all! My Eheim 2211 is down to almost no flow. I noticed it when I was putting it back together after the first cleaning so maybe I just don't know what I'm doing, but I've been googling and reading threads and the sticky here, and I've flooded the bathroom getting all the air out of the tubes, but nothing seems to help. How do I tell if the impeller is broken?

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi Lisa,
    There's a few things that can cause low flow:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ters-guide-setup-maintanence-tips-tricks.html

To tell if the impeller is broken, simply open the canister and visually check it.

If all is ok:
    - my guess is on blocked tubes/taps/fittings somewhere
    - or the taps are not fully open
    - or too much media in the basket
    - or the canister is too low relative to the aquarium and the hMax has been reached
    - or the grey plug has not been put back on the spray bar
    - or the canister has not been primed correctly (typically get a rattling sound with this one)

3. aHumanBeing

aHumanBeingWell Known MemberMember

Are you hearing an excess of noise? The only thing that should be heard is an almost inaudible hum if your ear is within inches of the canister. If any noise other than the hum can be heard then it's probably air in the canister and it's not properly primed.

I have not personally torn apart my 2217's but according to this picture   they are a magnetic impeller in the 2211. The reason I bring that up is when those impellers get even the smallest piece of grit on the magnet then they can grind to a hault. My HOB's have a magnetic impeller that will occasionally grind to a hault when a crud gets on them. As ryanr mentioned you should open the canister and inspect the canister. Also try and look for grit around the magnetic impeller if there is any then you should simply wipe it off with a paper towel or your finger. Re-assemble, prime and observe your results.

Best of luck to you, i'm sure it's something minor! :)

4. OP
    OP
    Lisa MacAlpine

Lisa MacAlpineValued MemberMember

Thanks guys!!! I did not realize the head came apart - and there was lots of gunk in there. I'll have another go at it this evening. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice