Eheim Ecco 2232

Terry

Reaction score
Product: EheI'm Ecco 2232

Description: External canister filter

Pros: Very quiet - I need to check the water flow to be sure it's working! Being able to tailor the filter media to suit my needs is great! The 2232 is the smallest in the Ecco line, with only 2 filter media baskets, but each basket can hold layers of material and filter pads. The filter is easy to work on, and the self starting priming handle is a snap to fill the canister with water. I have it on a 12 gallon Marineland Eclipse tank - I removed the filter/biowheel apparatus that came with the tank, and had to cut out some plastic on the back of the hood to install the outlet pipe, but it's much more efficient than the original setup, and gives me super clear water. The canister itself is on the floor under the aquarium, and the shutoff valves result in having very little water escape when unhooking them for filter maintenance, which is only needed every few months. In the end it's not only more efficient than the original filter pad and biowheel setup that comes with the eclipse aquariums, it should be cheaper overall than replacing the Eclipse filter pads fairly frequently. And, having the option of removing only a carbon pad from the filter when adding medications, without having to remove your mechanical & biological filtration, is a real plus.

Cons: None really. I might say the added cost, but I found that ordering online from Petsmart was about half the in-store price at Petsmart or elsewhere. I think I paid $69 for mine and the instore prices are well over $100. The pump comes with all of the filter media needed to get started so there was no additional setup cost unless you want to add a layer of something like zeolyte or ammo carb. Not quite as aesthetically pleasing as using the all-in-one filter setup inside the hood that comes with the Eclipses, but I don't think the Eclipse filter setup was enough to control ammonia and nitrites in their 12 gallon size tank. It seems sufficent in their 3 & 6 gallon tanks but maybe not in bigger sizes.

Terry

Angela_96

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have to add we bought the larger version for the up to 60 gallontanks. I absolutly LOVE IT! Its super quiet just like you said! and Price was decent, we only paid 120$ for it! (IN STORE!) Our water went from simI clear to I want to dip a cup in and drink! (not literally!) I am in LOVE with this system! NO extra cost, and my chem strips have showed constant for days now with no nitrates, no nitrites, no ammonia, ph still perfect!

BlueGreen

Reaction score
Yes, I also purchased the EheI'm ecco 2234 cannister filter a little over a month ago and love it! It is virtually silent. Cleaning it was simple and a lot easier and faster than my old power filter. Definitely would recommend it!

Angela_96

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Update.. the one I have in my 55 is a 2234... its been since jan and its still running strong, I have serviced it once and no problems, very easy to service! I also put a 2232 on my 36 bowfront... I Love it also... very high quality stuff!

New Threads