Eheim Classic 2213 or TetraTec Ex600, OR an internal filter!

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by musicjet, Apr 18, 2012.

1. m

musicjet New Member Member

Hi,
    I have a 14 gallon tank and it is 1 year old! ;) All the fishes is Herbivorous and no plants. I change 30% of water weekly.
    I want to buy an external filter to have a better water's condition.
    Would you tell me which filter is better for me please? Eheim Classic 2213 or TetraTec Ex600 or Ex400?
    I research about internal filters too, Eheim's Aquaball for example! so if you think an internal filter is better for me, feel free and please recommend me a model. I prefer to use different media in the internal filter like the externals and want both mechanical and biological filtering and sometimes chemical filtering like activated carbon in it.
    Thanks a lot. :;th

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

in a smaller tank, i'd go with an external filter, it leaves more swim space for the fish.

The Eheim is a great filter, super quiet and very efficient

If you go with a canister, aim for at least 6x turnover. So fo 14G, you probably want 84 gallon per hour as a minimum. I can't remember what the 2213 does, but I used to run one on my tank.

3. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks Ryanr,
    Refer to Classic external filters section on   and on the "Technical Data" section, the turnover for 2213 is 116 US Gallons per Hours, and turnover for 2211 is 60 US Gallons per Hours.
    On the   the turnover for 2213 is 400 Liters per Hours and the turnover for 2211 is 300 Liters per Hours!
    So which model is better for me?
    And don't you have any idea about TetraTec Ex Series?

4. ryanr

Personally, I'd go the 2213. It's a great filter (I used to own one before I upgraded)

The 6x recommendation is a minimum, but the more the better. Especially if you have a heavily stocked tank.

I've never used the TetraTec so I can't comment.

5. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you rynar.
    I finally bought 2213 and i'm going to set it up tomorrow! ;)
    Do you have any suggestion for order of media placement in the canister? Should i remove the activated carbon?

6. ryanr

7. i

iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

TetraTec is not a bad idea. We have them here in south africa and they are great. Quiet and efficient and hold a good amount of media.

The order of media placement can be customized as to however you would like!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice