Eheim auto fish feeder

StarGirl

I just got the Eheim auto fish feeder for my vacation. If we're only gone a few days I don't worry about it, but we are going to be gone 10 days and I don't have anyone to feed them for me. I've seen good reviews on here about this feeder.

What my question is....Anyone who has one of these feeders.... is there a good setting for a 55 gallon with about 35 tetra size fish, 2 GBR and a BN pleco? I know it has a little slide bar to let more or less food out.

StarGirl

Islandvic is the first notch good for just a little food? I don't want to muck it up while I'm gone. I'm leaving Thursday about 4pm and getting home the next Monday. 10-11 days gone. Or will they be good for that long?

WrenFeenix

Islandvic is the first notch good for just a little food? I don't want to muck it up while I'm gone. I'm leaving Thursday about 4pm and getting home the next Monday. 10-11 days gone. Or will they be good for that long?
You could try testing it and seeing if you like the amount of food it releases, and check if it can do it consistently. I tested mine a few weeks before I left for vacation.

Less is more; the less you feed, the less the fish pollute the tank. Most fish can go 2 weeks without food, but you could give them a tiny bit if you're concerned about them. If the smallest notch still dispenses too much food, you can use scotch tape to make the opening even smaller.

Playing it safest would be not using the feeder.

StarGirl

It's only putting in a small amount. I put a vacation feeder in too. ( don't start I've never had issues with them. ) just 1 for my pleco and shrimp to pick off.

WrenFeenix

That should be fine, just leave it running on a plate or something to catch the pellets for the next few days to make sure it dispenses that amount consistently.

Edit: Uh, word of advice from past experience; if you have cats, test the feeder in a location they can't get to, otherwise they might eat the pellets and leave you panicking about your mysteriously jammed feeder.

Islandvic

Sorry, just saw this thread by chance right now!. You didn't put the @ I'm front of my name so it didnt go to my notification.

I always have to test mine with the button on top to manually activate it first. I've used it with flake and with Pellets. But each time I use my auto feeders, I might have different flake or the pellets a diff size. I've got 3 or 4 of them I've bought over the past 2 years, but I still have to play around with the settings. Plus each of our tanks have different fish, so none of them ever have the same setting.

I prob have to sit and hot the button at least 4-6 times to get it just right, then do it again to double check. Ha. Then I load all the food it dumped back in the hopper.

They have never failed on me.

My only word of caution..... before you even start figuring out how much you want the feeder hole open, close the little door and place the feeder on the lid where you will leave it, then activate it manually a couple of times. I do this because once on our 10g, it walked itself over when the rotating hopper snagged part of the lid. The feeder ended up misaligned and dumped food on the lid, instead of in the tank. Fish were fine though when we returned. I usually use blue painter's tape or black electrical tape and place a few pieces over the main body to secure them to the lids now. Its probably an unneeded precaution, but by nature I expect things to go wrong so I try to plan accordingly. .

WrenFeenix

Sorry, just saw this thread by chance right now!. You didn't put the @ I'm front of my name so it didnt go to my notification.

I always have to test mine with the button on top to manually activate it first. I've used it with flake and with Pellets. But each time I use my auto feeders, I might have different flake or the pellets a diff size. I've got 3 or 4 of them I've bought over the past 2 years, but I still have to play around with the settings. Plus each of our tanks have different fish, so none of them ever have the same setting.

I prob have to sit and hot the button at least 4-6 times to get it just right, then do it again to double check. Ha. Then I load all the food it dumped back in the hopper.

My only word of caution..... before you even start figuring out how much you want the feeder hole open, close the little door and place the feeder on the lid where you will leave it, then activate it manually a couple of times. I do this because once on our 10 gallon, it walked itself over when the rotating hopper snagged part of the lid. The feeder ended up misaligned and dumped food on the lid, instead of in the tank. Fish were fine though when we returned. I usually use blue painter's tape or black electrical tape and place a few pieces over the main body to secure them to the lids now. Its probably an unneeded precaution, but by nature I expect things to go wrong so I try to plan accordingly. .
I recommend testing it over a few days to make sure the timer is also functioning correctly. I had issues with that because I am dumb and can't read directions.

Taping it to the lid is a great idea!

StarGirl

My only word of caution..... before you even start figuring out how much you want the feeder hole open, close the little door and place the feeder on the lid where you will leave it, then activate it manually a couple of times. I do this because once on our 10 gallon, it walked itself over when the rotating hopper snagged part of the lid. The feeder ended up misaligned and dumped food on the lid, instead of in the tank. Fish were fine though when we returned. I usually use blue painter's tape or black electrical tape and place a few pieces over the main body to secure them to the lids now. Its probably an unneeded precaution, but by nature I expect things to go wrong so I try to plan accordingly. .
Yeah I noticed that too. I figured it out. It has flakes and a few bug bites in it. It was dumping smoothly and in the cut out good. They probably will be waiting by the hole everyday. Lol. Now I'm just worried my insane Vals are going to block my light lol.

StarGirl

That should be fine, just leave it running on a plate or something to catch the pellets for the next few days to make sure it dispenses that amount consistently.

Edit: Uh, word of advice from past experience; if you have cats, test the feeder in a location they can't get to, otherwise they might eat the pellets and leave you panicking about your mysteriously jammed feeder.
I don't have cats. But my old cat always wanted fish food too. So I could see this happening lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
smee82
  • Question
Replies
Views
Andyfischer
Replies
Views
raif281
Replies