Eheim 2217 Companion

1. N

Nwbearcat1998 Valued Member Member

I've been running an emporer 400 along with a Eheim 2217 on my 75g for a year stocked with 10 rainbows, one angel, 4 gourami and a couple panda corys.

I'd like to repurpose my emporer for a new project cichlid tank to pair with a aquaclear 110.

Will the 2217 be enough to handle the 75g alone? Should I add another canister like a fluval 305 or another 2217??

Thanks for the suggestions.

2. j

jpm995 Well Known Member Member

I think the Eheim can handle that unless you have a very large bioload, but i prefer to always run at least two filters. If one fails it can be a lifesaver.

3. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

The eHeim alone can easily filter a 75, but the more filtration the better!

4. OP
    OP
    N

Recommendations on what to pair with Eheim 2217 or just get another 2217??

5. j

My chose would be a hang on the back unit. Low power [don't have to push water uphill like a canister], reasonable prices, easy filter service, almost leakproof and everyone makes one. Hagen is a really good unit but there many others.

6. OP
    OP
    N

I'm already running a emporer 400 and wanting to get away from the HOB and repurpose it.

7. H2O Concierge

H2O Concierge New Member Member

I am facing a similar situation. I am running a Seachem Tidal 110 with my 2217 on a similar stocked 75g and am some what happy with the results, even though I need to dial down 110 (due to bypass...filled with media. But feeling that I need more turns I have been looking at canisters ( add to and or replace) which would be easier to monitor/maintain than the 2217. Another 2217 would make keeping supplies/parts easier. But I like the idea of baskets separating the various media. Especially if the coarse pad is in the top tray, makes it easy to access and you don't have to disturb the rest of the filter unless you want to. I am leaning towards the Pro+4 600. Here are the finalist from the tornado of canisters flying around in my head. Eheim Pro 4+600 (2275), Fluvial FX 4 $$, Cascade 1500, and Fluval 406. I hope this helps. Anyone who would like to help add to this list...feel free.

8. H2O Concierge

The main + of the Eheim Pro 4+600 (2275) would be baskets (easier to service) and self priming. I like the use of the 1 old school and 1 new school canister on the same tank and alternating their cleanings. On April 5th I went with the Eheim Pro 4+600 (2275) and have been running it side by side my Eheim 2217 on the 75g, to help seed it. It's only been a month but I love this 2275 for so many reasons, but it is so quite that I can't tell if it is running. Lots of flow, even using spray bars. It is getting close to the time that I was going take the 2217 and move it to my 46g, leaving the Eheim 2275 on the 75g...but I really like the quality of the water running them both on the 75g. Maybe I will just remove the Tidal 110, but I like to run it at it's lowest flow rate for media reduction of N3. Decisions...decisions.

9. OP
    OP
    N

10. H2O Concierge

After running for 4 months on my community 75g without any service (except cleaning the pre filter) the spray bar output is still going strong. So I think I will wait another week or two before looking inside the Eheim 2275. I typically clean my Eheim 2217 every 4 months. I did remove the Tidal 110.

11. aniroc

aniroc Well Known Member Member

I would get another Eheim 2217. I personally have 4. Two on my 75 and two on my 180 gallon. I keep spare parts on hand (tubes, hose connectors, elbow pipes, white filter). I even have a pump head cover handy...just in case.

12. Pescado_Verde

Pescado_Verde Well Known Member Member

I think a Classic 350 is about a 15W appliance. Some air pumps use as much juice. It's not a high volume pump but it doesn't need to be due to superior filtration. You'd need to be pumping 3-5 times the amount of water thru an HOB. I don't know how that could possibly be more energy efficient. Not to mention the noise and maintenance.

13. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

Actually your right the HOB's don't have to push water uphill, they have to suck it up hill. HOB's can never match the filtering capabilities of a canister, that's why you need to run at a higher gph then a canister for good filtration. I'll stick with my canister filters, way quieter too.

14. j

Neither canister or hang on use any power to suck in water, their gravity fed. Its pushing the water back that uses energy. The hob sits near the top of the tank very little power is needed to move water. The canister needs much more power to move the water the 2 foot or so back to the tank. Look at the pump ratings, the flow goes down drastically for every head foot. Canisters are great and have many advantages but hob's have advantages also. There much easier to clean and theres much less chance of a water spill.

15. Pescado_Verde

Pescado_Verde Well Known Member Member

All I know is a Penguin 350 is rated at 20W and and Eheim 350 is rated at 15W. There are good reasons why the Eheim is considerably more expensive and yet it uses less power. You're getting nowhere near the same filtration. You'll need two of the Penguins to equal what the Eheim is doing so now you're at 40W.

16. max h

You are correct most HOB's sit high on the tank, meaning they must have to suck the water up, there's not may of them that are self priming. Water only flows to the level its at, if part of the intake tube or the impeller is mounted above the water line no dice on function until primed. most canisters need priming to evacuate the air trapped in the system to get the siphon effect going.

17. wodesorel

wodesorel Valued Member Member

The Quietflow HOBs have their pump sitting inside the aquarium, so they are both self-priming and push the water upwards rather than relying on suction.

18. max h

Ah yes the Quietflow is configured that way, hence the statement most HOB's not all. A canister does offer superior filtration due to being able to contain more filter media.

19. OP
    OP
    N

Would getting a Eheim 2215 (classic 350) be good enough to pair with the Eheim 2217 and get rid of the emporer 400??

20. max h

That should do for a secondary filter.