Eheim 2215, Torf Pellets And The Carbon Pad

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Nada Mucho, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Nada Mucho

Nada MuchoWell Known MemberMember

I'm setting up a new 30 gallon tank. I am running an Eheim 2215 (Classic 350) canister filter. I don't have any fish yet but the tank is planted and growing. Testing today gave me Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 5.0 ppm. The pH in the tank and from the tap is 7.8 which I'd like to reduce to between 6.5 and 7.0.

I've done some reading and it seems that I can buy Torf Pellets (and a bag) from Eheim to help lower the pH. I've also read that I shouldn't be using the carbon pad media in the filter. My question is this... If I pull out the carbon pad and put in some torf pellets... where do I put them in the stack?

Any information would be most welcome as I'd like to get the tank pH stable before I introduce any fish. Thank you!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Why do you want to lower your pH? Most all fish in the hobby are adaptable to a higher pH, and lowering it can make your pH less stable (think about doing water changes - you'll be adding in high pH water). A high pH is safer than an unstable one.

You can use carbon in your filter, but it's not necessary, and you'd need to replace it monthly. However, it's not bad to use.

You can put the peat pellets either before or after the biomedia. I would get peat pellets from a garden center, rather than buy the Eheim version. Just more expensive for basically the same thing.

3. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

TexasDomer thank you very much for your reply. I guess I'm new and when I read the pH ranges for fish I'm interested I figured it was "dangerous" to go higher. If it's not such a big deal what would you say is a decent +- for the reading? Meaning if I'm running at 7.8 is it ok to introduce fish who's range maxes out at 7.0? 6.5?

On the peat pellets I would really like a cheaper solution but read that the Torf Pellets don't dirty the water while the ones from a garden center etc will. I really am clueless so I appreciate your response and your insight.

4. TexasDomer

You're likely fine to add almost any fish you want with that pH. Even many wild caught fish can adapt to a higher pH. Only certain sensitive fish won't do well, and if you list your stocking plan here, we can make sure you're not planning on one of those.

Some of the ones from the garden center are contained in netting and won't dirty the water. Any peat will stain the tank with tannins though.

5. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

My stocking plan is still up in the air but thank to you, sir, it's now a lot more fun because my potential stock range has greatly expanded. Thank you!

6. TexasDomer

Not a sir, but you're welcome :)

7. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

What TexasDomer told you is correct when it comes to PH. I also wanted to add my own personal experience with a PH of 8.2 and hight GH and KH to boot, I have been successful with a few different types of fish. I do always acclimate slowly since my local fish stores have a lower PH then I do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice