Eheim 2078 or eheim 2080?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by karl2005united, Jul 12, 2015.

1. karl2005unitedNew MemberMember

Hi all I am in the fortunate position of owning 2x Eheim 2078 pro 3 and 2 x Eheim pro 3 2080. I have a 5 x 2 x 2 with frontosas. My question is which filter combination would you plump for? They both have about the same pump onboard 1750 l/h, but the eheim 2080 brags a huge 13 litre media canister and rated for tanks up to 1200 litres. The 2078 is a smaller filter in terms of media but boasts all the electronic goodies and rated for tanks up to 700 litres, both superb filters but im torn what to put on my tank? Which 2 filters would you choose and why? Cheers guys and gals regards karl

2. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I'd go with the 2080 if that's your choices. But if you want to keep it simple, get a 2260 or 2262. I've owned all of these, and don't care for the pros series at all. For the price, they just aren't worth it.

But between the 2080 and 2078, I like the 2080 because it holds more media. The one I have also has a heater in the filter. Which I do like. But I run it as a single filter on a 75 gallon tank. That's the largest tank I would use one on. Using 2 on a 150 gallon would work fine. You will just have a lot of tubes in your tank.

3. OP
    OP
    k

karl2005unitedNew MemberMember

Thanks for your opinion, trouble is if i only run one 2080 on a 500 litre tank it would only turn the water over 4 times an hour. Would this be acceptable because of th much greater media capability? I've always been an eheim fan, I agree there overpriced, but i liken it to say the rolls royce or supercars, crazy filthy money, but we all secretly want one lol...or is this just me?

4. BDpups

I thought you said you would run two filters? I would use two 2080's

I like Eheim's too. They are the only filters I use other than sumps. I just prefer the classics to the pros.

5. OP
    OP
    k

karl2005unitedNew MemberMember

oh sorry misunderstood your reply thought you meant you wouldnt run 2 as the pipes would be unsightly, I like the idea of 2 intakes on the 2080 but not really useful as i will have an intake on either side anyway. I'll run my other 2 2078s on a 232 litre and 180 litre tanks i have upstairs, I also love to be able to turn the flow down to your choice, have you ever had the eheim interfave you can buy? Tempted to have a play with the 2078s you can also update the firmware i believe?

6. BDpups

Nope. I have not used the interface myself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice