Eggshell calcium supplements

derpychicken

So ive been worried about my snails getting bad shells, as I have malaysian trumpet snails and bladder snails with a single mystery snail. I worry about this because the last bunch of snails i had were ramshorns and their shells deteriorated pretty fast. I saw online that people used eggshells as supplements, I wonder if this would work. And if it does, whats the most effective way? whole eggshells? powdered eggshells? can they even absorb these, or do they have to dissolve into the water for the snails to use?

StarGirl

Egg shell will dissolve over time and work but a faster way to introduce calcium is through foods or Cuttlefish bones.

Upvote 0

Salem

Eggshells work in two ways, one being directly consumed by the snail and two dissolving in the water and raising the hardness. It helps to know your hardness so you can see if they're lacking in one more than the other.

Personally, I don't like using eggshells as they're visually unappealing in the tank and the sharp edges can occasionally cut a snail. I personally like to use seashells when it comes to something passively dissolving. In terms of directly consuming I like to make snello and feed things that have a lot of calcium in them such as kale. Snello is a home made jello using things like cuttlebone, fish food, baby food, etc. There are lots of recipes online. The one I specifically use is actually made by land snail farmers but in my experience works fine with aquatic ones.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

Other than the great suggestions mentioned above, Seachem Equilibrium in your case will also work wonders, I can't say enough good things about it. It is a powder consisting of Calcium and Magnesium that you put directly in your tank, both elements behind the GH value in your tank. If the GH is too low, simply adding some Equilibrium per the instructions is a surefire way to get that GH up to acceptable levels. I use this product with Ramshorn Snails, Bladder Snails, Mystery Snails, Nerite Snails, and Cherry Shrimp and everyone is in great shape. I would also recommend you pick up a GH test kit to know the true value of your GH as well especially if keeping any invert.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Frogchirp
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
  • Question