eggs??

1. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

I got back today and my female was not coming out of the cave and the male was trying to attack the gravel filter when I changed the water. I looked in the cave and saw eggs on the wall.

Attached Files:

2. whisper Well Known Member Member

Fishing that is so cool. Hope they hatch for you. Keep us posted.

3. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

yeah. it is cool how protective the male is. a ghost shrimp walked near the cave and the male darted over and tore it apart and the female ate it.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

:eek:

5. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

how long does it take for the eggs to hatch? when they do hatch how long before I can move them into a breeder net. and how long after that before can I give them to my LFS?

:confused:

6. Nick G Well Known Member Member

The eggs should hatch in a couple of days, then it'll be another 5 days or so before the fry are free swimming. You can siphon them up at this point and put them in a net if you want, but theres no need to really as the parents will protect them. I'm not sure how long it takes for Convict fry to grow though. I start selling my Kribensis fry at around 4 months old, although they're nowhere near adult size at that age.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats on the eggs FishingMan. Keep us posted.
    Ken

8. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

Should I be worried that the female has lost her orange color?

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

no shes just not in breeding mode shes in protect mode ;)

10. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

ok. thanks.

11. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Looks like your gonna have some baby fish soon :)

Good Luck!
    CB

12. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

yeah i tried to raise convicts last year and after 7 months no babies. with my luck the female laid the eggs and the male didn't fertilize them. just have to wait and see.

thanks

i am going to get pantyhose to put over the filter intake to stop the fry from being sucked up. Iwas wondering when I buy them from the store are they ready to go into the tank then or should I rinse them in warm water?

Also I have frozen brine shrimp for the parents. can the fry eat that along with crushed flake food?

THANKS!

:animal0068:Hello. I merged your posts since there wasn't a response between.
    Thanks!
    Ken

13. ocean Initiate Member

umm can u help me i have convicts and the eggs hathced but i also have them in with other very agressive south americans what should i do?