EGGS!?!?!?!

1. onelovie Member Member

After having my 10 gallon tank set up for over a year, I came home from work today and discovered a little group of probably 40-50 eggs under one of the plant leaves! :eek: I have not one clue what the eggs are from, if they are fertilized or what, and I have no idea how to tell! Here's what lives in the tank: 2 Black Ruby barbs (i'm pretty sure a male and a female), 2 Blood Fin Tetras, 2 Glow Light Tetras, 1 Gold Von Rio Tetra, 1 Cory Cat, 1 Otocinclus catfish, 1 Ghost Shrimp, 1 African Dwarf Frog and 1 Ramshorn Snail (this is new to the tank, about 1 week). The eggs are tiny whiteish colored eggs.

Anyone have any idea what these eggs might be from? What should I do with them, if anything? If something hatches out of them, I'm sure it'll get eaten, but I don't really want to move all of those inhabitants to my 55 gallon tank, either. HELP!!!!!

2. onelovie Member Member

Ok, I did some research after my first post to see the breeding habits of my particular fish, and from what I can tell, I think the eggs are probably from my Ramshorn snail! Has anyone ever had baby snails?

3. fletch Member Member

snails eggs are contained within a larger, hard jelly covering. Its probably fish eggs. take the leaf out in the next few hours (because it wont take long for the eggs to hatch) and put it in a net breeding tank. You realy need to get ones of these. If you don have on just fashion you fish net to the side of the tank and put the leaf in there (in the water obviously)

4. onelovie Member Member

Thanks! The eggs haven't hatched yet. I don't have a breeding net and unfortunately would have to drive about an hour to my pet store to get one. So, I think I will try hooking up my fishnet with the eggs inside. I will have to get a breeding net next time I go to the pet store!!!

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

usually takes fish eggs 3-4 days to hatch,then they will look like they are wiggling(thus the name wigglers) but if nothing hatches in 4 days or they turn white or fuzzy I would say its not going to. Using the net is an excellent idea, just make sure there is a good flow of water through it.
    Carol

6. onelovie Member Member

Thanks for the tips! I put the net near my bubble wand, so it should be getting some movement! I am hopeful that something will hatch. It would be fun to raise some fry! :)

7. fletch Member Member

Be prepeared though. Egg fry need loads more attention and they take ages to grow. My gouramis have taken 3 months to go from egg to 1/2 an inch. feed them on infusoria for the first 2 weeks then on micro flakes (liquifry) for about a month and then on brine shrimp.

8. onelovie Member Member

What is infusoria??? How big are the fry when they hatch? Thanks for the help!

9. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Exactly, what the heck is "infusoria" ??? ???

10. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

How does the breeding net look like? Is it big? And do you put in in your tank with all the fish?

11. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

12. fletch Member Member

My breeding net is about 6 inches by 4 by 3 _|/ and its basicaly a skeleton of a rectangle with netting around it. they are very cheap. I got mine for £1.50 ($2.10 USD $4.50 NZD approx) and its the best thing ive bought for my tank.

13. onelovie Member Member

Out of curiosity and impatience, is there any way to tell if the eggs have been fertilized? The eggs are clear in color. I can't really tell if anything is going on side of them or not...

14. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Ok its been long enough. I'm dieing of curiousity ;D what did your eggs turn into?
    Carol

15. onelovie Member Member

Unfortunately, the eggs are still eggs. I'm thinking that they maybe didn't get fertilized? They didn't turn white or anything, they are still just little clear eggs. Maybe next time!!!

16. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

If they havenot been fertilized they would be white. Do you have a magnifying glass? If so check them out. That really makes me curious.
    carol

17. onelovie Member Member

Ok...the eggs still haven't changed. Still little clear balls. Tonight as I was feeding the fish, I noticed another little batch of eggs, this time floating in the upper corner of the tank!!!! What is going on?? It has been exactly a week since the first batch of eggs appeared!

18. hydreloy Initiate Member

I'm not sure if you know what laid the eggs, but I know that they are not the tetras eggs because tetras are very careless as to were they lay their eggs. I am not sure of the barbs though. and it is was a good idea to move the eggs because the african dwarf frog would of probably ate the eggs because they are somewhat meat eaters...not that much as the cousins the Albino Clawed frog.

19. Jason Well Known Member Member

Crazy, hope they're fish babies. If they hatch or whatever post some pics!

20. onelovie Member Member

The eggs are crystal clear and it seems like there is a tiny something inside of them...but i found the eggs on tuesday and still nothing? i don't know, it's so weird!!!