Eggs?! These Look Odd

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Strummer95, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Strummer95

Strummer95 New Member Member

i can't figure out where to post this cuz I don't even know what it is...

I have a 5 gallon tank with a few tetras in it. We have had for it several months. It is filtered and cleaned regularly. I just did a full water change and cleaning and scrubbing of everything down to the gravel only a week ago.

Yesterday I discovered a bunch of clear sacs with pink balls in them, spread around the tank. They do not look like any fish eggs I have ever seen, and they are not grouped up but I can't figure out what else they could be.

I have searched for images online extensively and found nothing like these. They are also not grouped up, so that why I question if they are eggs.

Can someone please help?

Attached Files:

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeow Valued Member Member

It looks like old degrading food. When I feed shrimp pellets sometimes they look like this at the end of the day if they are uneaten. I bet that's what these are. I would scoop one out and see if it just turns to mush and then you will know it is food for sure. :D good luck!

3. Alhana

Alhana Valued Member Member

Yep that was my first thought as well. It looks like leftover food.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed, leftover food that has fungused over.

You have some stocking issues if you'd like to discuss them.

5. OP
    OP
    Strummer95

Even with the clear bubble around it? That really throws me off.

However, just a minute ago I found out my wife kept an old pellet food that I tried to get rid of cuz the fish don't eat it.

This very well could be it. I had no idea she had kept this stuff and continued to use it.

Thanks

6. meyowmeow

yes, the stuff around it looks kinda like a clear bubble but it's just bacteria growth etc on the food.

7. OP
    OP
    Strummer95

I just find out my wife has not used the pellet food in a couple weeks, so none of that is pellet food since I did a full massive tank cleaning last week.

All we use is flake food, and in 6 months this has never happened before. Could this be anything else? It's not consistent with the flake food breaking down.

Open to any discussion. Do You mean I have too many? I have 4 medium to small sized tetras in 5.5 gallons. I thought that was ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  8. meyowmeow

flake food can do the same thing - have you tried removing one yet?

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Yes. What species of tetra do you have? Most require a 20 gal minimum, though there are smaller species that would work in a 10 gal. Very few work in a 5.5 gal.

Tetras should also be in groups of 6+ of their own species.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice