Eggs On Filter Pump.. Help?

Celrae9

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My Angelfish consistently lay the eggs on the filter pump (they are on 3rd time of egg laying.) I believe the male is not able to fully fertilize because of this. I was thinking of unplugging filter until eggs are given time to be fertilized and moved to breeder tank. (I have other fish in tank that will try to eat eggs.) Has anyone figured out a way to encourage their Angelfish to lay elsewhere? Or is this going to be their constant laying place?

Guppygirl88

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mine did it on the heater so I uplugged it and turned it sideways - then they did on the uptake of my HOB I left them alone the fry eventually became free swimmers and then just disapeared (it happens) but they were in the tank with just some corys (Elegans) I've thought when they try again I'll turn up the out put because they don't like a lot of current-they will spawn on glass .
Your going to hear a lot about moving the fry - it's up to you as it's a lot of work, when you could over time, let this inexperienced pair learn to raise their own fry. It really is a great thing to watch and the fry are healthier too .

OP
Celrae9

Celrae9

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you for sharing!

OP
Celrae9

Celrae9

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Guppygirl88 said:
mine did it on the heater so I uplugged it and turned it sideways - then they did on the uptake of my HOB I left them alone the fry eventually became free swimmers and then just disapeared (it happens) but they were in the tank with just some corys (Elegans) I've thought when they try again I'll turn up the out put because they don't like a lot of current-they will spawn on glass .
Your going to hear a lot about moving the fry - it's up to you as it's a lot of work, when you could over time, let this inexperienced pair learn to raise their own fry. It really is a great thing to watch and the fry are healthier too .
My only concern is one fish in the tank is a shark fish. I had noticed the Angelfishchasing the shark fish away from the eggs. I would love for them to raise their own, but since this is a tank I adopted off of someone that was moving out of state I learned after adopting tank that she had an array of very different tempered fish in same tank. I would like to eventually upgrade to more than one tank to fix this problem (she had a shark fish with a danio and I actually had to hospital tank my danio at one point from injuries from shark fish). This is why right now I am trying a breeder tank. Id rather them naturally eat away non fertalized eggs for fungus etc., but a separate tank was most economically possible for me right now.

New Threads