Eggs of fish or eggs of snail?

Chiasmodon

.. So i just found a small clutch of eggs just over a leaf of my vallisneria plant.. Idk what it is.. And It doesnt look like ramshornql and bladder snail eggs.. Can someone help me identify this.. Heres a photo of it..

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_125617.jpg
    IMG_20210911_125617.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210911_125238.jpg
    IMG_20210911_125238.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 35

richiep

The cluster dosnt look like snail eggs as you say
Whats in the tank altogether and the plant they're on as it been added recently

Chiasmodon

The cluster dosnt look like snail eggs as you say
Whats in the tank altogether and the plant they're on as it been added recently
There were no plants added recently.. I just noticed the eggs today.. The fish in the tank are tetras and gouramies and the other inhabitants are mostly shrimps and snails (nerite, ramshorn, bladder).

richiep

I think you can rule out the snails and gourami are bubble nest builders so it only leaves the tetra but I don't know what their eggs look like, I'm sure someone will chime in

SixThreeOh

They're ramshorn or bladder snail eggs.

richiep

Ramshorn egge are not cylindrical and pond/bladder eggs are held together in s type of gel so I don't think it's them

Chiasmodon

Ramshorn egge are not cylindrical and pond/bladder eggs are held together in s type of gel so I don't think it's them
True. I normally remove ramshorn and Bladder snails eggs.. the ramshorn has harder gel while the bladder snail is a Gooey (but not sticky) type of gel. now I just saw these cylindrical or almost circle eggs on my Vallisneria and I think one of my Penguin Tetra just lay her eggs there.

mattgirl

True. I normally remove ramshorn and Bladder snails eggs.. the ramshorn has harder gel while the bladder snail is a Gooey (but not stick) type of gel. now I just saw these cylindrical or almost circle eggs on my Vallisneria and I think one of my Penguin Tetra just lay her eggs there.
Since you know what both ramshorn and bladdrer snails look like and you've not added new plants then the only other option is Tetra eggs. Hopefully you will be able to incubate them and end up with more tetras :)

Chiasmodon

Since you know what both ramshorn and bladdrer snails look like and you've not added new plante then the only other option in Tetra eggs. Hopefully you will be able to incubate them and end up with more tetras :)
Yes. I really need babies because Penguin tetras are kinda expensive for me to afford, I just bought four but im planning to add 3 more to make it 7.

A question not related to the topic.
does Penguin tetra stop eating wisteria once you feed them well?

mattgirl

Another thought. if you have a female gourami I suppose it is possible she expelled some unfertilized eggs. My money is on tetra eggs though only because it would be exciting to hatch and raise the fry.
does Penguin tetra stop eating wisteria once you feed them well?
I can't answer that question. I feed my mystery snails well and they still keep the roots of my frog bit short. I stopped putting crypts or water wisteria in the tank with my rabbit snails. Neither lasted long with them and they are well fed.

If your tetras are eating one of your plants then it tells me they should like fresh veggies. Maybe offer fresh veggies or blanched leaves. Each year I collect a big bag of oak leaves once they start falling. I also collect a bunch of mulberry leaves. I do pick up some that have fallen from the tree but also pick fresh ones from the tree for my rabbit snails, mystery snails and shrimp.

Since winter is coming soon I will start collecting fresh mulberry leaves to dry. They do seem to enjoy the fresh ones once re-hydrated.

Chiasmodon

Another thought. if you have a female gourami I suppose it is possible she expelled some unfertilized eggs. My money is on tetra eggs though only because it would be exciting to hatch and raise the fry.

I can't answer that question. I feed my mystery snails well and they still keep the roots of my frog bit short. I stopped putting crypts or water wisteria in the tank with my rabbit snails. Neither lasted long with them and they are well fed.

If your tetras are eating one of your plants then it tells me they should like fresh veggies. Maybe offer fresh veggies or blanched leaves. Each year I collect a big bag of oak leaves once they start falling. I also collect a bunch of mulberry leaves. I do pick up some that have fallen from the tree but also pick fresh ones from the tree for my rabbit snails, mystery snails and shrimp.

Since winter is coming soon I will start collecting fresh mulberry leaves to dry. They do seem to enjoy the fresh ones once re-hydrated.
Ohh.. Mulberries! We have them here, but What do you mean by drying them? Like putting them in a casserole and.. Just cook them without using water or.. you are going to put them under the sun?
Ohh.. Mulberries! We have them here, but What do you mean by drying them? Like putting them in a casserole and.. Just cook them without using water or.. you are going to put them under the sun?
idk much about how to prepare mulberry to feed fish.

mattgirl

I am talking about the mulberry leaves not the actual fruit. I just lay them out flat and let them air dry. To re-hydrate I just put them in some water and microwave them for a couple of minutes.

chromedome52

Penguin Tetras are egg scatterers, and would not have eggs laid on a leaf in a clump. They are snail eggs, like it or not.

Chiasmodon

I am talking about the mulberry leaves not the actual fruit. I just lay them out flat and let them air dry. To re-hydrate I just put them in some water and microwave them for a couple of minutes.
Oh. We have mulberry farm here and im thinking getting some leaves tomorrow and finally my fish will leave the wisteria alone. Ty!
Penguin Tetras are egg scatterers, and would not have eggs laid on a leaf in a clump. They are snail eggs, like it or not.
Thanks! I appreciate it

richiep

If you care to look up penguin tetra eggs you'll see they are exactly the same like it or not

Chiasmodon

Is this the right mulberry? I boiled it for 5 minutesand dip it to a cold water

Attachments

• IMG_20210912_124125.jpg
    IMG_20210912_124125.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 5

Chiasmodon

I just put the mulberry leaf in my tank and the gouramis, mollies, and my shrimps love to eat it.. but my penguin tetras don't want to approach it (because they are probably scared of my gourami) but they do eat some uneaten pieces.. I think im going to feed my fish twice now.. but there is a problem.. one of my white-skirt tetra is obese and this obese tetra always the first one to reach the surface for food.. it seems it's always hungry all the time..I am sure it is not a bloat because her scales are not like pinecone looking and she is a very fast swimmer.

chromedome52

If you care to look up penguin tetra eggs you'll see they are exactly the same like it or not
How's about you link me to your supposed Penquin Tetra egg photos? Google shows nothing but snail eggs that were mistaken for Neon Tetra eggs.

mattgirl

Is this the right mulberry? I boiled it for 5 minutesand dip it to a cold water
Looks like it to me. I am sure you know your mulberry trees from other trees. I know there are different species of mulberry but I have to think all are safe to feed to our water pets.
I just put the mulberry leaf in my tank and the gouramis, mollies, and my shrimps love to eat it.. but my penguin tetras don't want to approach it (because they are probably scared of my gourami) but they do eat some uneaten pieces.. I think im going to feed my fish twice now.. but there is a problem.. one of my white-skirt tetra is obese and this obese tetra always the first one to reach the surface for food.. it seems it's always hungry all the time..I am sure it is not a bloat because her scales are not like pinecone looking and she is a very fast swimmer.
Now that you know your fish will eat them put several leaves in there in different places. That way the tetras should be able to get their share. Are you saying you are going to feed your fish twice a day. I don't think that is necessary for full grown fish. Supplement their diet with the leaves a couple of times a week and maybe fresh veggies occasionally

Chiasmodon

Looks like it to me. I am sure you know your mulberry trees from other trees. I know there are different species of mulberry but I have to think all are safe to feed to our water pets.

Now that you know your fish will eat them put several leaves in there in different places. That way the tetras should be able to get their share. Are you saying you are going to feed your fish twice a day. I don't think that is necessary for full grown fish. Supplement their diet with the leaves a couple of times a week and maybe fresh veggies occasionally
They are juvenile tetras I believe.. Their max size is 3 inches and they are almost an inch long. The gourami is the king of my tank.. The little penguin tetras barely got their share once the gourami spotted small falling pieces first .. I will put more leaves tomorrow. Ty for the info.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
smee82
  • Question
Replies
Views
michaelsf90
Replies
Views
coolio3991
  • Question