Eggs But No Bubble Nest Help

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by Zai, Jun 9, 2019.

1. ZaiWell Known MemberMember

So two of my gouramis mates and laid eggs, however there's too much surface turbulence for the Male to make a bubble nest. So the eggs are just.. free floating and the Male is stressing out trying to keep the eggs together.
    Should I remove the eggs to keep him from stressing out or will that cause issues?
    I do have a 10 gallon with a sponge filter I could put him and the eggs in but its not cycled atm. I wasnt planning on breeding them xD
    I dont particularly care about the eggs, but I dont want Leo to kill himself stressing out over these eggs.

Help! Advice please

2. AtomicfishValued MemberMember

Hmm in all my years of fish keeping I never had a Gourami mate or have eggs. I don’t really know much about breeding but I don’t know if moving the eggs and the fish is a good idea. I’m sure some one would know.

3. BillCNCValued MemberMember

You could take a small to medium Styrofoam cup and cut it in half lengthwise then cross wise. Use the bottom half with the bottom still attached and add that to the tank creating a shelter inside. Face to opening to the glass and cut it at an angle so the top touches the tank side yet the bottom half wont. it will allow oxygen exchange and calm the water so he can build a nest. This batch more than likely wont survive but the next will in his new house.

Regards
    Bill

4. ZaiWell Known MemberMember

I dont overly want them to survive, but the dad is constantly collecting the eggs and moving them bc they keep floating away. I just dont want him to stress himself out
    I'll get some styrofoam cups and do this so he can at least get some peace for this batch

5. ZaiWell Known MemberMember

Like that? I dont have any styrofoam cups atm but I can get some tomorrow if that wont work. Hopefully he uses it 1560129974870.jpg

6. BillCNCValued MemberMember

Sure, that will work, but I usually have the side of the cup as the roof. If he likes one area of the tank and float the cup very close to where he hangs out. Your cup should work but an opaque color cup would give him a little more security. Just an added side benefit.

Now sit back and wait.

Regards
    Bill

7. ZaiWell Known MemberMember

i'll get some styrofoam cups for the future. he didn't use it and it seems like either the eggs were eaten or floated away bc i cant find more then one or two eggs and hes no longer guarding

8. BillCNCValued MemberMember

Oh yes, he or she ate them as I said previously, these will more likely than not be lost. Now your armed and ready for the next batch. There are some really good Gourami breeding video's on Youtube with lot's of information to help your fish succeed the next time which should be about 30 day's from this last mating.

Now you just need to make sure that they are actually breeding and the female ins't just dumping her eggs indiscriminately with out the make being involved. Iv'e had several that were like that.

Regards
    Bill

9. ZaiWell Known MemberMember

WELL i'm not trying to breed them xD like at all. i don't want fry and was under the impression that at the temperature i have their water, they wouldn't be likely to breed (everything ve read says to put the water at 80 to 82 for breeding, mines at 78.). they just decided to do the mating dance and lay the eggs randomly. i've only had them for a week, so im glad theyre happy and feel safe but if they could NOT lay eggs, that'd be great xD

10. BillCNCValued MemberMember

Gourami's are like Betta's in so many way's. The female should be removed after breeding as he will protect the eggs from the female and if they come up missing in the night, she will take the full brunt of it even if it wasn't her. If you don't want breeding, then separate them by putting one in another tank if you have one.

One thing to note, ... Do both Gourami's look exactly the same in the chest area and dorsal and analfin area? if so you might have 2 females, which would get along just fine in the same tank and you'll never have fry.

Regards
    Bill

11. ZaiWell Known MemberMember

i have 2 females, 1 male. i was told they could cohabitate together as long as i kept the temps down to keep them from breeding.
    i don't care if she eats the eggs as long as hes not going to attack her or whatever.

i just didnt want him stressing out and dying bc of it lol
    Idk if it matters but they're honey gouramis

12. BillCNCValued MemberMember

Who told you that?
    Those Youtube video's are calling Screaming your name.

Regards
    Bill

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  13. ZaiWell Known MemberMember

Basically every website I look up for honey gouramis say they can be in a tank together.
    Also several members who keep honey gouramis have them mixed together

14. BillCNCValued MemberMember

Have you noticed any aggression?

The last Gourami breeding I did was last summer. I started with a pair and the female killed the male. The I got another male, then another and now she sit's in a tank all by herself after killing 3 males that were larger than herself. Every tank I put her in, ... she creature's havoc withing 2 minutes. I tried re-homing her twice and she ended up being returned withing the next day. This aggression has been going since the day I bought her. If she' doesn't calm down, .. I'm afraid she will be introduced to my Silver Arowana. :eek:

Mind you, this is a Female Thick Lipped Gourami and shouldn't have any aggression what so ever.

Moral of the story, .. Gourami's and Betta's should never be trusted within a group of mixed sexes and a watch-full eye is needed.

Regards
    Bill

15. ZaiWell Known MemberMember

the first 24 hours they kind of chased one another establishing territories but now they all get along and seem just fine. its just them in a 29 gallon with tons of plants and hiding places. no one chases anyone during meal time and all seem to get along just fine actually.

16. BillCNCValued MemberMember

Okay good, ... Just keep an eye on them or if one of them get's harder to find and stay's hidden all the time. Now enjoy the fruit's of your labor.

Regards
    Bill

17. ZaiWell Known MemberMember

Will do! if one starts hiding all of the time, ill give the male away and try to get a third female, but for now everyone seems okay

18. sarah.grobbelaarNew MemberMember

I have a group of honeys, I’ve kept them in a group of 3 & also in a large group. I’ve only ever had a dominant male chase others out of his territory when a nest is made or when the females are getting ready for breeding & the stripe becomes deeper then the dominant male chases the other males away.

They were my first tropical fish & I still keep them because they’re awesome! In my experience, they’re friendly, can be housed with many kinds of species, easy to keep, easy to feed, don’t fight & are so cool to watch

I personally wouldn’t separate them but that’s just me.

The male won’t die from stress of loosing eggs.

Good luck :)

19. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Honeys are not at all like Bettas when they spawn. I have had Honeys where both sexes tended the eggs and nest. I've had spawns in a community tank with a lot of Water Sprite floating cover; many fry survived by hiding in the roots and leaves of the Water Sprite. Nests were almost non-existent anyway, but they did blow a few bubbles. The eggs of Honeys are bouyant, so if you want to remove the eggs using a dish or something, you don't need the male for them to hatch.

Also, Thick Lips are very aggressive, as bad as a Dwarf Gourami IME. Every species has its own little quirks.