Eggs All Of A Sudden

1. william holland

william holland Initiate Member

Well I've never bred fish before, but judging from these photos looks like I'm doing so now. And judging from the behavior of my pair of angels, it appears these eggs are angelfish eggs? They're nudging away from that Anubis plant any fish that wanders by. I only have the one tank, a hexagonal 55gal I only got up and running properly within the previous month. So sad to say I'm not equipped to put them in a breeding tank. I'm curious if perhaps one of the angels may have been loaded with eggs when I got her...

Anyway, any predictions? The tank is shared by the angels with 6 cories, 8 otos, and about 15 assorted danios. Oh and a single male betta that has been coexisting with the angels perfectly.

IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg

2. Christian7425

Christian7425 Initiate Member

Those are definitely AngelFish eggs. Especially if they are guarding them and nudging other fish away. It is possible for the angelfish to come loaded with eggs. You don't say how long you had the angelfish pair (they could have made more eggs if they are a true angelfish pair when you put them in the tank).

3. OP
    OP
    william holland

william holland Initiate Member

I just bought my pair of angels two weeks ago, they’ve barely tasted the chocolate on the pillow.

What’s the gestation period?

4. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Eggs start hatching after 48hrs, unfertilized eggs will start going bad (white) at 24hrs until everything has hatched, the parents should eat these bad eggs but most often they do not on their first try because they do not know to, they should move the wigglers that hatch out away from the spawn site though (i have had them not do this as well...). They start free swimming after a few days (they grow eyes before this point, so once they have grown their eyes expect them to start free swimming a few days after this point), the parents will try to corral and contain the free swimmers in their protected area, as they grow they will range further and likely get eaten to be honest (they don't handle community tanks well unless the parents are the biggest bad in the tank and defend 24/7).

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted