Egg Spots?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Friends.NotFood., Apr 23, 2018.

1. Friends.NotFood.

Friends.NotFood.Valued MemberMember

what do egg spots mean on a cichlid? I have 6 Africans and they all-specifically have 1 or 2 yellow spots on their analfins

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

that means ick

3. OP
    OP
    Friends.NotFood.

No it’s not ick, it’s part of their coloration. I’m asking like, does it mean they’re males or female?

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

oh sorry, thought you meant more like a betta egg spot. then i dont know sorry

5. OP
    OP
    Friends.NotFood.

NO prob

6. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Males have the egg spots. So you have 6 males.

7. OP
    OP
    Friends.NotFood.

I guess I should hurry up and get some females.

8. AquaticJ

What size is your tank?

9. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

This is actually a huge misconception. While most males do indeed have egg spots, many females do as well. Egg spots are used mainly to entice the females to go near the male's vent and pick up the "eggs". The eggs gathered in the females mouth then end up in close proximity to the male's milt, fertilizing the eggs. I have females with a few dull egg spots on their analfins, they are for sure females too. A male's eggs spots will be vibrant while a female's are small and not so flashy.

So basically what I'm saying is you cannot sex an African cichlid on the absence or presence of egg spots alone. Heck I've got males that haven't a single egg spot on them when their sisters have 2-3.

10. AquaticJ

Well thank you for the info, I had often suspected that this couldn't always be true. Especially because many captive bread fish are modified to look more enticing to people.

11. OP
    OP
    Friends.NotFood.

I’ve read that too. I guess I just assumed male. I know for sure my OB is male. Now that I think about it, my auratus is female because she’s yellow and I know only juveniles and females are yellow. Cool. Thanks