Egg Sack Thing In Tank

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Windwolf55x5, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Windwolf55x5Valued MemberMember

I found two (so far) of these weird egg sack looking things in my tank. They came in with my duckweed.

Any idea what they are and if I should get rid of them?

Here's a picture of one of them. They're these little green eggs in a clear bubble like thing.

Attached Files:

2. Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

They could be the eggs of a water snail or perhaps an insect such as a midge, caddis fly etc.

It may be safest to take them out.

Otherwise satisfy your curiosity by letting them hatch, maybe outside your tank so you can more easily get rid of them if they turn out to be unwanted.

3. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

They look like bladder snail eggs. Even if theyre not i would still remove them.

4. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Definitely either bladder or ramshorn snail eggs. Remove immediately though you might already have some more as they are hard to spot.

5. Windwolf55x5Valued MemberMember

Great I've heard about those and how they infest tanks. I hope their aren't any more. I've only seen them in my 5 gallon shrimp. They've probably got eaten in my goldfish and betta tank.

If some do hatch what's the best way to get rid of them?

6. el337Fishlore LegendMember

It's possible some may get eaten but fish can't get to all of them before they hatch and breed some more.

I've never been able to completely get rid of them. I use a veggie trap and also pick them out as I see them regularly. I don't find more than 1 or 2 a week.

7. sfsammWell Known MemberMember

Definitely bladder snails. They breed like rabbits and you probably don't want them. :) I have a tank with assassins I feed them to as I've got a thing about smashing them once their crawling. I thoroughly inspect my plants to avoid (mostly anyway) adding those boogers to any of my other tanks. When the assassins start loosing ground I take a few to my lfs to feed their puffers. It's a daily battle once they hatch in a tank.

8. Windwolf55x5Valued MemberMember

Is salt ok to use with Amano shrimp? Because I know that kills snails but of course I don't want to hurt my shrimp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice