Egg Laying Guppy

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by BottomDweller, Apr 24, 2017.

1. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Hi

I've had this guppy for over 5 months now and she's never had fry. 3 times I've watched her give birth to eggs though. Today she's doing it again. She's driving me mad, I'd really like to breed her. There are platies in the same tank as her that give birth to healthy fry.

Here's a couple of pictures of her laying eggs. Sorry for poor quality.
    8db086ddb97bb9ee06dca0993db12b71.jpg
    eddd4d16692bf6b2d282759911b1303b.jpg
    11ecf40e8f2d8b3c4ade965404839dd5.jpg

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Rather than laying eggs, I'd say she is aborting premature fry. Something might be stressing her out or the water quality isn't to her liking.

Can you try collecting any of the aborted eggs/fry? I'm curious to see how developed they are.

3. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I haven't tried collecting them. Might next time. Would they hatch?

Water parameters are
    7.5 Ph
    0 Ammonia
    0 Nitrite
    20-30ppm Nitrate (80 out the tap)

4. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

They won't hatch if they are still encased in the egg/placenta (not sure which). I will say that I had a female platy abort her fry and while most where "egg like" there were a few fry that made it even though they were premature.

5. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Are they all yellow or do any of them have eyes? It could be that there isn't a really fertile male mating with her, or she is stressed.

6. emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

Most of the time it's stress which causes the aborting premature fry. Stress can be caused by different reasons. They could still hatch if the fry is almost fully developed. But even so, the fry may also not be strong enough to come out of the egg.

7. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

They are just yellowish balls.

There are no males with her but I thought if they weren't fertilized she wouldn't give birth?

What could make her stressed?

8. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

They will still have eggs develop inside of them when they are not mating, usually the eggs are just reabsorbed, sometimes they are aborted. It could be that the eggs are not viable anymore so she is aborting them, it could be that she is stressed (really anything could stress her, another fish, slight change in water temp, lights on a different times, changes in water quality, the list goes on and on. I mean my cichlids get stressed when I put the gravel vac in their tank, some of them go all pale and hide!

9. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

She hasn't been with a male for 4 months so I hope it's just because the eggs aren't fertilized rather than that she's stressed.

All her tankmates are peaceful, never seen another fish chase her (apart from when there was a male guppy).
    I change the water temperature through the year so it's more natural for them but only very slowly. The last change in water temp was about 3 weeks ago and was 1 degree warmer. It has been stable for 3 weeks.
    Lights are on a timer.
    She eats from my hand. When I do a water change she pecks at my hand:)

I don't see any obvious reason for her to be stressed. But if you guys can think of anything else that I've missed then please let me know:) If I get another male do you think she would start giving birth to live fry?

10. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I think if you got a male she's give birth to live fry :)

11. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Thanks everyone!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice