Egg crates

winglessicarus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've seen some references to people using egg crates in their tanks. Mostly under the substrate to keep rocks from cracking the glass.

My question is, do you guys thinking including egg crates is a good idea - why or why not?
I was considering using one as a baffle for my Aqueon 55/75, as the flow is pretty extreme on my little guys. The trick would be figuring out how to attach it safely to the filter.
Know of any OTHER uses for egg crates that you might suggest?

I'm looking for some DIY work to make my tank more enjoyable for the fish, I figured if egg crates are safe to add to an aquarium, I might be able to get creative with them, maybe make little caves etc. - but I only see references to them as place holders under substrate. I also see a lot of warnings that it's not even worth using them for that, because it can cause dangerous pocketing.

I have regular egg crates you get at the grocery store, nothing fancy or paid extra for.Naturally that means they're shaped to fit eggs, and not the flat grids I see mentioned a lot in forums.

Bad idea? Potential for good idea? What do you think?

Claire Bear

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have egg crates (the flat paid for them kind) in my cichlid tank to help distribute the weight of my holey rock. I don't think that would work with egg crates (the carton that eggs come in) but the plastic egg crates are used and they work great.

Drakkenfyre

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It sounds like you are talking about egg crate foam, then at the end of your post you talk about egg crates to actually hold eggs. I don't think I have ever seen egg crate foam in that use at a grocery store.

Under the substrate sounds like it would create a massive biofilter, if it had enough water flow. But you did mention about pockets of built-up gas.

OP
winglessicarus

winglessicarus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Drakkenfyre said:
It sounds like you are talking about egg crate foam, then at the end of your post you talk about egg crates to actually hold eggs. I don't think I have ever seen egg crate foam in that use at a grocery store.

Under the substrate sounds like it would create a massive biofilter, if it had enough water flow. But you did mention about pockets of built-up gas.
This is the kind of comment I needed. I hadn't found a distinction between the two, but after your comment I did more specific research to work out that they're not the same thing. I was under the impression egg crate foam was the material egg crates are made from.

It seemed like something that would break down with extended exposure to water like that, which is why I asked if it's really a good idea to use. I wouldn't want to put them in the tank if they're just going to rot there.

Drakkenfyre

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
winglessicarus said:
This is the kind of comment I needed. I hadn't found a distinction between the two, but after your comment I did more specific research to work out that they're not the same thing. I was under the impression egg crate foam was the material egg crates are made from.

It seemed like something that would break down with extended exposure to water like that, which is why I asked if it's really a good idea to use. I wouldn't want to put them in the tank if they're just going to rot there.
Yes, egg crates are made out of a cardboard-like material, and would break down pretty much instantly.

Egg crate foam is used in furniture, bedding, and moving companies.

As far as I am aware, egg crate foam is just standard open-cell foam. It gets that name because it's shaped like the egg crates used to actually hold/carry eggs.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
winglessicarus said:
I've seen some references to people using egg crates in their tanks. Mostly under the substrate to keep rocks from cracking the glass.
Not the cardboard or foam kind you see at the grocery store.

This:

Claire Bear

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Lucy, I didn't really do a good job explaining what I was talking about! The link Lucy posted is what I and others are talking about.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ohh I get now we are talking about light diffusers.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, it's called egg crating which makes it confusing.

OP
winglessicarus

winglessicarus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a lovely review rating on that site, wow.

Thanks everyone for clearing that up

New Threads