Egg Crates And African Cichlids.

Tezzel

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This will be my first time using a sand substrate so I am curious how much of the egg crate will be exposed from the fish digging through the sand. And if there is a way to minimize the exposed egg crate. Thanks

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tezzel said:
This will be my first time using a sand substrate so I am curious how much of the egg crate will be exposed from the fish digging through the sand. And if there is a way to minimize the exposed egg crate. Thanks
They dig under things so be sure to set rock and large objects directly on the egg crate before you add sand or you risk having the objects shifting when the fish move sand. Build plenty of caves and provide deep sand. I have 2.5 to 3 inches above the egg crate and it never shows.
20190521_191636.jpg

OP
T

Tezzel

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the quick replies. My initial plan was going use black eco complete, but I have some left over Schist slabs and stepping stepping stones I will be cleaning and using. I think a lighter substrate will look better so I decided to go with pool filter sand.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anders247 said:
Welcome to fishlore!
Agree with the above. What type of sand will you be getting? I recommend black diamond blasting sand, the 50 lb bags are really cheap at Tractor Supply.
Nooooo! I strongly advise against using any kind of coal slag blasting sand. BDBS black sand is coal slag. It's not approved for use around any animals and coal burning plants can't dump it anywhere near surface water or waterways or they get hefty fines. That's why they sell it as blasting sand and as an asphalt additive. They can't get rid of it. Here's the latest on coal slag/ash:

Some people have used it with no apparent problem but you don't know what kind of factories it came from or what other contaminants are in it.
Here's a fish veterinarian's opinion:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...ingly-healthy-fish.386447/page-2#post-4185399

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Uh.... well OK, never heard of any issues people have had with the blasting sand. I use it myself in all my tanks and don't have issues of that type.... and many other have used it with success as well. I think it's a tad bit of an overreaction to say it shouldn't be used.

New Threads