Egg Crate On Glass Bottom?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Tank Equipment' started by Chris Osborne, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Chris OsborneNew MemberMember

Hey all, I'm thinking of setting up a new reef without and substrate on the bottom. Is there anything I should be doing before putting down live rock? Would it be ideal to have egg crate on the bottom to prevent scratching? Or would that just trap gunk?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Tony MValued MemberMember

I would not use “egg crate” . It will be just a gunk collector. Put the rocks right on the glass.

3. Chris OsborneNew MemberMember

Okay. Should I saw the base flat? Will it scratch the glass?

4. Tony MValued MemberMember

It won’t hurt the glass. You’re not going to drag it across the bottom. Just set it down carefully.

5. Chris OsborneNew MemberMember

Okay, thanks!

6. Nanorock1970New MemberMember

Yes just set the rock down gently and don't drag it into place, you will be fine. Also my LFS suggests to put the rock in first and then any sandbed so if your sand loving critters go digging they will not mess with the rock when they dig the sand out from under it.

7. doubleohwhateverNew MemberMember

I've used egg crate for the past decade on all of my tanks ranging from 60 gallons to 400 gallons and I've never had a problem with it. On my larger tanks the bottom pane has always been tempered glass and the rockwork extensive. It may do absolutely nothing but I feel better having the egg crate under the rock.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice