Egg Clutch Hatching???

Meredith

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Exciting news - one of my mystery snail egg clutches looks like it's about to hatch! When I look at the clutch from behind(it's on the wall of my 10g) I can see a bunch of baby snails there. Will they detach the whole clutch from the tank wall? The front part looks close to hatching too, but it still mostly looks like eggs, whereas from the back it's almost all snails. Should I just leave them be? I hope they're not stuck in there :/

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd leave it alone. They will make their way out of the eggs and down into the water on their own when it is time.

Meredith

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dch48 said:
I'd leave it alone. They will make their way out of the eggs and down into the water on their own when it is time.
They hatched this morning yay!!! The first couple fell into the water and sank to the bottom right away - I retrieved them because I didn't want them to get buried in the gravel or crushed/eaten by their crab-apple sized Papa. I coaxed the rest of the hatching clutch into a little plastic container with a bit of tank water (I read they should be kept in shallow water at first so they can make it to the surface easier for air) and the rest of the babies quickly released themselves from the clutch they seem to be doing well so far. I can't believe how many of them there are!! Dozens and dozens, and this was the smallest clutch she's ever laid. Makes me kinda glad the first few clutches were infertile because they were thrice the size of this one. So happy with my babies can I expect most or all of them to survive at this point? They're going to be in a 3.5g nursery for a little bit until they're big enough to give away.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
From what I've read, babies can continue to exit the egg clutch for two days and after that point most people swish the clutch in the water and even more come out. It's so exciting to see some, I hope it goes really well!

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If they are kept in good water conditions and get enough food, most if not all should survive. They grow fast and it won't take long before they overpopulate the tank

Meredith

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dch48 said:
If they are kept in good water conditions and get enough food, most if not all should survive. They grow fast and it won't take long before they overpopulate the tank
Thanks. I've found homes for a few of them and have room to keep a couple myself, the rest im going to give to my lfs

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom