Egg bound female??

1. f

fallonrhea Valued Member Member

How can I help an egg bound betta? I've read salt baths, I don't want to do that until it's 100% necessary. Thanks!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How do you know she's egg bound? Just wondering. She could be bloated, constipated, or have an internal blockage/tumor/etc.

3. OP
    OP
    f

She shows all of the signs. She developed the strips along her body, the white part where her eggs come out is popping out, her under side has a yellowish tint and she is flaring up more frequently at the male. I know she isn't constipated because the tank went a week with no food because they all got over fed and just now went back down to their normal sizes.

4. OP
    OP
    f

Except for her of corse.

5. KyleMarie

KyleMarie Valued Member Member

I know close to nothing about this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard its pretty uncommon for egg binding to happen.

6. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Can you post pictures?
    Has she been near any males?

7. OP
    OP
    f

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    f

Yes she is around males

9. Flowingfins

I would move her away from the males, that's only going to make her worse.
    Stop feeding her for a couple days, that should encourage her to reabsorb them.

10. OP
    OP
    f

I read that if she is around males she will be encouraged to drop though..

11. Flowingfins

Possibly, but it's more likely she'll hold them in because she wants to breed. Stop feeding her, raise her water temp to 82, and it should get better.

12. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I had a female do this, recently in fact, I removed the mosquito fish that was in there with her (she wouldn't kill him, yet she kills everything else...) and she fixed the problem herself over night. Get her away from the males and do as Flowingfins suggested and she should fix herself pretty quickly. (Unless she is in contact with the male *can physically see and almost touch him* she will not likely drop her eggs.)

13. R

Randynrx New Member Member

Just tonight my egg bound beta was close to death. I think the eggs possibly impede circulation. As a last resort I took her out of the water and laid her on a wet napkin and gently squeezed her belly until about 3/4 of the eggs came out. She has completely recovered so far after about four hours.