Efficient and cheap betta housing?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by kidster9700, Jul 14, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

So I have one guy in a 2.5 bow front that was like $40. Then I have two in a divided HALF GALLON that I though was a whole gallon. That cost me about $15. I guess I could leave one in there but there's no light or filter. I could buy two one gallons with lights and filers for about $60 or a divided 2.5 for probably about the same. Honestly the .5 fits nicely on my shelf above my new ADF tank, but I don't know if they're okay in it :/
    I was just about to divide my 5.5 when I got the fry that now occupy it. Water changes in a .5 are like nothing so it isn't that bad without a filter. I just had to spend $30 on a new heater to treat ich in the fry tank so there goes some of my betta tank money already :/

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ok so what's the question?

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

What's the cheapest and most effective way to get these guys suitable homes? I'll have a ten inch wide space that's about 14 inches deep soon (so probably nothing more than 8 inches wide there) to put a tank, but I just don't want to be spending $100 for lighting and filtration on tiny betta tanks.

EDIT: and it HAS to have a lid because I have two cats that are very destructive.

4. lobstahlightsValued MemberMember

Try Walmart for small fish tank kits. My nephew's was $20 for a 1.5g (maybe a 1g?) with a light and filter.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I'd be more worried about how small the tank is and having no filter, after all, living in such a small amount of water with no filter won't do them good for long, imo. I think one of the cheapest ways to keep multiple bettas is to do a divided tank. For just two bettas, a divided 10 gallon should work fine, but if you had more that needed housing, or you just wanted to keep spare room in case you ever did get more, I'd recommend a 20g long. You have to be careful when dividing tanks though, to make sure they don't jump over or somehow squeeze through. I personally have never done a divided tank, but there's instructions on here on how to do it.

Good luck! :)

6. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I tried doing a divided twice but one of them (Loki) is really good at squeezing through and I had zero success with the divider. And I do not have space for a 20L as I already have a 38 gal tank, plus a 20L with a snake and a 29 with a snake. And a 5.5 for the fry. And I'm planning on setting up a 10 for shrimp (this betta housing space I speak of being a foot long is actually shelf space next to where the 10 will go). I would really feel best if they each had about 3 gallons but if I have to choose, I could live with one of them in a 1 gal.

7. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

I thought you had someone lined up to take the bettas? Or are these different ones?

8. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

No? I never had bettas to give away. Maybe at one point I was going to give the purple one to my mom or a friend but I have had no success with that so he's part of the family now.

9. BornThisWayBettas

Do you want them to have a filter? Or is it just preferable?

10. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Filter and light is required. Otherwise I could just use any 3 gallon container. Like a large vase or something.

11. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

Oh I'm thinking of thefishdude maybe.

12. BornThisWayBettas

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea you're probably confusing her with him.

The most efficient and cheapest way to house the bettas would be in a 29g sorority. It's cheaper to buy a 29g tank for $29, than say 3 5.5 gallon tanks at say $15 each. Plus the costs of individual filters and heaters would add up. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  14. BornThisWayBettas

I thought these were male bettas........?

15. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Either way it's still cheaper to throw them all in one tank and put up sturdy dividers instead of buying three individual tanks, filters and heaters.

16. BornThisWayBettas

I think the OP has already stated that this can't be done due to a space issue.

17. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Yeah, and the purple boy was actually initially in the 38, but had to be moved because he was too aggressive (I thought I would try and see if he would be okay but he wasn't unfortunately). And I only need two tanks. I already have one that I'm pleased with for a third betta I own, but it was expensive :(

And if I use little tanks or smaller setups then my parents won't be upset about all the fishtanks I have. Because I'm living at home still.

18. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

the first two have open tops which won't work with my kitties :( the third one might be nice, i think i'll order it. and the last one is one my boyfriend has. its very nice, although the blue one is only $20! except the blue one is kind of ugly imo. i would still like to find a 2.5 thats maybe around $30 instead of $40, but if i have to spend the extra $10 i know the one i have right now is good. :/

19. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

A couple of ten gallon tanks with proper dividers would be fine. We've already told you, many times, that tanks smaller than 2.5 gallons are not suitable, so you shouldn't even be considering keeping one of these fish in a half gallon "tank" or any of those 1 gallon tanks (including the ones that users here linked to you).

I don't understand how you have a fish able to get through a divider. A decent divider has holes too small for a betta to get through, and is siliconed to the sides and bottom, or is made of foam that fills in to the walls. What did you use for a divider? Poster holders siliconed to the walls with needlepoint mesh inserted in the "holder section" with silicone holding it in place, is a perfectly acceptable tank divider and no fish can get through it. You just have to make sure it goes all the way up to the tank lid.

Alternatively, stiff foam sheets can be purchased on Amazon or ebay and simply inserted in the tank, as long as they're a tight fit.

20. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

That is what I was trying to tell the OP.. much more cost efficient to get a 10 gallon, properly divided for three bettas. $10 for tank, $18 for heater, $11 for filter... compared to spending $40 for each tank kit... would be $120 for three.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice