Effects of breeding pressure on stock quality

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaysee, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Many of us feel that the quality of stock of some species has fallen. Breeding pressures on some fish are pretty high, and I think dwarf gouramis are near the top of that list. Generally, only the males are sold, so the females on the farms are probably culled. Why waste the money and space to raise them? That means there's twice the amount of pressure on them.

So, what if dwarf gourami disease is nothing more than a genetic defect? Since it ONLY affects dwarf gouramis, which are coincidentally the only gourami where just one sex is sold. A lot of problems take time to develop, so maybe that's all that DGD is.

Any thoughts?

2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I know that there are many genetic defects/diseases that can be caused by excessive inbreeding. Cheetahs suffer from something similar. Their gene pool is so small that they succumb to genetic defects. Would neon tetra disease be caused by the same thing?

3. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

No, NTD is spread to other species, outside the tetra family.

But I firmly believe that a large number of unexplained deaths are due to internal issues i.e. bad genes.

4. AquariaUK

AquariaUKValued MemberMember

A few of my platies have a unknown disease, and I think it is related to bad genes. Does Dwarf Gourami disease spread? Like in a tank?

5. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

No, only dwarf gouramis are susceptible to DGD. As far as spreading to other dwarf gouramis - it may, or it just may already be in them. My hypotheses is that it does not spread, because it is not a disease.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice